Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just now left the vet, one of my younger boys scared me yesterday by suddenly being very lathargic and having very shallow breaths. I wasn't able to get him in at the only vet remotely close to me untill around 4. Now the vet thinks he has pneumonia... which is odd because he wasnt sneezing.. about a month ago i brought in a diffrent rat who had a upper respitoryun infection but hes completely better now..

Well now Eddy has gone through a half hour of oxygen and received fluids and baytril..plus send home with smz tmp pediatric with a bad prognosis... i feel so bad for my little guy..

I'm sorry for rambling I'm just in shock! He was fine two days ago.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would have no idea what it's like but I'm sooooo sorry and I hope your rat will get better quickly. It seems like your doing a great job taking care of him. You can put him in the bathroom with a humidifier but if he is distressed than take him out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As the person above mentioned you can do steam baths which can help a lot. Just put your shower on the hottest setting and shut the door behind you. Hold your rat comfortably for them and sit in there for as long as they can handle (roughly 5 mins). You could also get a baby humidifier and have it running when you're gone during the day and overnight. It helps rats breathe easier and doesn't take up a lot of energy to run which is great.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im actually a bit afraid to do that for him. We are pretty sure stlest one of his lungs has mucus in it. Whenever the air seems thicker he has a very hard time breathing...

·
Registered
108 Posts
MOA I completely agree with you. I understand it's not really a good idea to do steam/humidity when there is fluid present in a ratty's lung(s). Hopefully the meds will kick in soon and he'll feel much better after a few doses :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sad to say he didnt make it... ill be making a post for him in the rainbow bridge section in the next few days....

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm so sorry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts