Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello I'm new to the forums, but I already introduced myself on the greetings area...

Anyways, ever since I got my first rat (bout a month ago), I have fallen in love with the things and I am definitely planning on getting another.

I would have never thought a rat would be so caring, loving, and gentle. Honestly, my rat Alfonso has bonded with me so much that HE runs up to me and climbs into my hands. And when I call his name, he KNOWS and hops over to me.

Basically, a rat acts similar to the way a dog would act if it were that small I think. Theyre attached to their owners, they love their owners, etc

Heres what pi$#@$ me off. My girlfriend loves my rat and has become attached to it too so she wants to get one too. BUT of course, her parents refuse to let her have a rat because they're "gross" and a "pain in the butt to take care of" AND my girlfriends parents have freakin 4 dogs. I mean come on! How can you possibly think that taking care of a little lovable rat is more difficult and problematic than a big, loud, annoying (sorry i'm a dog lover too but they are annoying at times), non stop barking, hole digging, large pooping animals? Not only that, but this gets me even more mad, the parents just recently bought a NEW dog. uggghhh it gets me mad because that dog is very badly behaved but they still "love" it and they still refuse to let her get a pet rat....... People are really ignorant when it comes to rats and I'm sure a lot of you have noticed this as well, and it just angers me knowing that these little creatures are probably the nicest pet i've ever had even compared to my chinchilla.

·
Registered
489 Posts
People are ignorant. And if you think you love your rat now, just wait. The longer you have them the more love.

You should get your lil guy a friend. They are happier with a friend. =]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats what I've heard/read, its best to give rats companions so they are not unhappy.

I'm going to need to put them in a "nuetral" area for a while I read, so if you guys have any ideas for introducing males as friends, they'd be appreciated!

As a matter of fact thats what I'm doing today, gettin a new one. haha I'll show you guys pictures of the rat I get today (once i get ahold of a camera). Its really cute, its like a light brown/white, i already was holding it....

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Keep the new rat as separate as possible from your rat for 3 weeks. This is best in another airspace (building), but as far away as possible can help.

Then move their cages so they can smell each other but not touch each other (or they can and will lose toes). Introduce on neutral ground (bathtub, bed) and watch for aggression. Take it slow, don't rush. They'll get along eventually (you'd hope).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got that today. I took Sid out with me and she was hanging out on my shoudler and in my pocket all day. Some people would ask if they could pet her. Most glared at me. Whatever though. I love her dearly and that's all that matters. I don't care if they think rats are gross and nasty creatures. I think they are cute, cuddly and wonderful. They don't know what they're missing out on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the tip Forensic

Ah god, now that I remember, one time I was in Petco and some Paris Hilton lookin preppy girl walked by the rats and said "Like, ohmygod, those things are SO disgusting" and I wanted to slap her. haha

Oh guess what? My girlfriends parents went through! My girl yelled at them and proved them wrong about the dog situation (why can you get a dog and i can't get a rat) so the parents let her have one, we bought "Vladimir" today. and he is VERY nice too (what rats arent') hes an adorable dumbo/rex white and black. he got along with my Alfonso right off the bat! It was cute they started jumping all over each other but in a nice way and they cuddled together it was great. Now i'm certain I'm going to get a new one very soon to be a companion for Alfonso, I could tell Alfonso was very happy with another rat to play with.

Thanks for the tips again, I'll follow through!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Not alllll rats are nice. At least, not right away. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
My preppy "Paris Hilton" look alike friend loves my rats. Can't judge a book by it's cover. She played with Sid for a few hours today and is looking into getting a pair of her own.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts