Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Lewis, Beau, Bella & Arrow
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 amazing rats, 2 girls and 2 boys. They are spoiled, they prefer our food over the recommended pellets, although they are available 24/7 and nibble here n there. So, I mostly feed them frozen peas and corn, slightly warmed, and many fresh vegetables and fruits and the rat nut, corn, seed mix and other things. Many sites say that you can feed your rats tuna, chocolate, etc...in moderation.... but how much is too much? And how often is too often? Am I doing this all wrong?? They have all been to the doctor recently and checked out perfectly healthy but they will only get older and I want to ensure that I give them a long healthy life. Any information is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
To make sure my boys' nutritional needs are met, i try to make sure a majority of their diet is their rat food. If 25-30% of their daily diet is supplemental stuff, that ends up being around 5 to 6 grams, each. That's not a lot. An easy rule of thumb would be a portion of supplemental stuff should be about the size of your rats' head.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have 4 amazing rats, 2 girls and 2 boys. They are spoiled, they prefer our food over the recommended pellets, although they are available 24/7 and nibble here n there. So, I mostly feed them frozen peas and corn, slightly warmed, and many fresh vegetables and fruits and the rat nut, corn, seed mix and other things. Many sites say that you can feed your rats tuna, chocolate, etc...in moderation.... but how much is too much? And how often is too often? Am I doing this all wrong?? They have all been to the doctor recently and checked out perfectly healthy but they will only get older and I want to ensure that I give them a long healthy life. Any information is greatly appreciated
I was under the impression that corn is toxic to rats? I’ll have to look again.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I was under the impression that corn is toxic to rats? I’ll have to look again.
Fresh corn is great. Ground corn as an ingredient in a lab block is just fine. Some people worry about possible mycotoxins in whole dried kernel corn caused by mold production as a result of improper storage of animal feed. Mycotoxins and aflatoxins may also affect other grains and nuts, not just corn. To be on the safe side, you could avoid feeding rats pet store mixes that contain whole kernels of dried corn. It's up to you, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts