Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my boys quite a few weeks now, getting on for two months now I think and since the day we got them, they've been inquisitive and loving.. Bacardi was on antibiotics for a week after developing a cough (like a rattle sound..) but he's all better now anyway..All through that time, Pepper was a sweet little rattie, he'd groom us and lick and just generally be a lovely boy, but today he's chewed a hole in my joggers (lounge pants) and he's nipped my partners nipple (through his top), no blood was drawn but it's frightened Peter a little bit... But when he came to me, he licked and gently nibbled (which I assume is grooming) my fingers, forehead, chin etc.. He did try to chew my fingernails though, but when it hurts I move my fingers away and make a squeak sound as if to protest..Wednesday last week, I bought a fleece lined hive bed for the, from the little pets warehouse.. It's quite nice, and I popped it in their cage, they spent a lot of time jumping in and out of it.. But we discovered on Thursday morning, some of the foamy filling behind the fleece lining had been ripped out and was everywhere... Since then he's been working on pulling out the filling everyday.. We just don't know why....They get let out for a couple hours every evening (we have to be careful because of our landlord). Their main diet is rat nuggets (from pets at home store), they get treats but not in excess and only when good or when being taught tricks (taught Bacardi to stand 馃槃) and they're only the yogurt drops you can get from PAH..Any suggestions welcomed.. I do love my boys but I just can't work out Peppers sudden change in behaviour... :/

Registered
Haha! Tearing something you spent hard earned money on apart instead of using it? That's just rats being rats :) And we love them anyway (somehow).

Don't worry. Rats chew on things by instinct to keep thier teeth at a healthy length- besides, chewing things is fun!
As for biting you partner (or you), don't worry about that unless it starts happening repeatedly. The fingernail chewing is no harm meant- my rats do it too. As for the nipple nip, my rat has done that once or twice- they're just curious is all. Rats can be mouthy :) They may also nibble your feet- no worries about that either.
These aren't agression signs, just rats being rats :) Don't worry about it!
If Pepper starts biting often, that's when you should start to worry.

But for now, you've got nothing to worry about!

Registered
I have a couple fingernail groomers. Mostly if I put on nailpolish, you know that shouldn't be there! This isn't aggression, just grooming.

Tearing apart stuff-that is what rats do! Giving them lots of things that they can chew on makes them happy. I made a giant bucket of small blocks of pear wood that I dyed with food dye. Looks good, and gives them something chew on. I try and keep a variety of chew toys in their cage-hard to chew items (blocks of wood) and easy to shred items (paper and cardboard).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not worried about them chewing the bed apart, it was only 拢8 from the little pets warehouse, quite cheap and had good reviews, it's more the shock that he decided to chow down on my partners nipple and he's chewed clothing despite never doing this before..Although since then, he's seemed sad when not taken from his cage and this morning he groomed me for about 10-15 mins straight (my fingers, arm, cheek and just behind my ear - I hadn't had a shower at this time) and he was perfectly fine :)And I now believe all is forgiven as Peter held Pepper for about 20 mins, just making a big fuss of him :D

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New update: Pepper nipped me as well tonight, trying to chew through my top as I wasn't allowing him down it.. I've since removed the bed and put their old wooden hut in.. That never got chewed (which is why I was surprised at Peppers chewing the fleece lined bed..)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts