Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, I've just joined, and I am not yet allowed to post elsewhere.

I have a hairless dumbo named Tater Tot. Tate has been slightly off for the past week and a half, and I had originally thought it was maybe because it's been a little cold, and he was without his bed for one night (it was in the wash).

What I noticed first was his droppings. They were no longer as frequent and as plentiful as they were, and they no longer had that usual shape. They weren't as big as they used to be either.

Secondly, he stopped eating as much. He has also lost a noticeable amount of weight. Blocks are always available in his cage 24/7, and he is provided a salad every other day that consists of lettuce, carrots, strawberry pieces, and usually a grape or two. Occasionally (not often or in great amount), I'll give my rats some pieces of some cereal (usually Cheerios, Kix, or (even less often) a Froot Loop), but I hadn't given him any for awhile before I noticed these issues. His water bottle and cage are also cleaned every day.

Tonight, as I was going to clean his cage, I noticed one of his eyes was shut just a bit, and there was some crusty gunk around it. It wasn't closed all of the way. I took him into the bathroom and placed him in the sink where I got a washcloth and wiped it out with warm water. I got it out, and he opened the eye again, but then he started walking in circles. He has never done this before, and I could just tell he was off when I put him back in his cage.

What could be going on?

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
The walking in circle could be due to a pituitary tumor. Try the "cheerio test" and see if he can eat it with both front paws by balancing himself on his back legs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts