Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have two ratties, a neutered-male hairless rat named Marvin and a hooded girl name Penny. Marvin had a URI mid-April but after two weeks of TMS he was better. I also gave Penny TMS for those two weeks because she was making a clicking noise and the Vet thought we may as well treat her at the same time. But after the treatment, Penny was worse. We took xrays and her lungs looked good, so we started another round of TMS, but after a week there was no improvement so we switched to Baytril.

It's been a week of Baytril with no improvement and today she seems even worse. I have a humidifier going in the rat room, I've offered her baby food, some Boost, a bit of dog kibble, carrots, honey-water...she isn't interested in any of it. She's breathing heavily and wants to be as high up as possible (she keeps climbing up to the top of the cage or me). I'm going to bring her to the vet again tomorrow but I'm really worried about her. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If you are going back to the vet, I would recommend asking for a combination of antibiotics. You should really see improvement within a few days so either the treatments being tried are ineffective against whatever is causing the illness or it's possible that the dose is incorrect.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Try a Baytril/doxy combo. It's a hard hitter for UTIs and some rats end up on it for the remainder of their lives if it becomes chronic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the recommendation. They took xrays today and they said her lungs look slightly congested. We're doubling the dose of baytril and they're ordering some doxy from the compounding pharmacy. They're also ordering some critical care for her.

We're home now and I took her in the bathroom and did a steam...I feel so helpless. She looks so lethargic. I'm trying to syringe feed her a mix of honey water and boost but she really isn't tolerating it.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
It sounds like you're doing everything you can. The bottom line is that our rats are so prone to URI and other respiratory complications, and this is just part of the package. It's sad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts