Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The two Pets At Home that are near me used to be PetsMart.
I was just wondering whether anyone knew if the two are the same company or PAH is owned by a completely different company to PM?

I've just watched the small animals video on petsmartcruelty.com, it sickens me and makes me feel so annoyed by these people. I buy most of my girls food, bedding and toys from there and I would HATE to know that I'm fuelling their cruelty.
Altho saying all the above, the people at both PAH that I go to are really helpful and care about the animals there.

Or is PM and Rainbow Exotics mainly an American company? :?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
PetsMart had UK stores. These were sold to PAH in 1999/2000. (If it makes you US Citizens feel better - PetsMart lost a lot of money by selling them :lol: but PAH lost more) Therefore, now they are two separate corporations

A lot of people have problems with PAH over here - the one I visit I've never had a problem with. Both boys I bought there are perfectly healthy, there adoption scheme has a GREAT turn around and if animals aren't sold within an alotted time period (through store sale) they get put into the adoption scheme.

I think most problems come from the fact that people go to the store and listen to advice given - they are too lazy to do private research before or after.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ration1802 said:
PetsMart had UK stores. These were sold to PAH in 1999/2000. (If it makes you US Citizens feel better - PetsMart lost a lot of money by selling them :lol: but PAH lost more) Therefore, now they are two separate corporations

A lot of people have problems with PAH over here - the one I visit I've never had a problem with. Both boys I bought there are perfectly healthy, there adoption scheme has a GREAT turn around and if animals aren't sold within an alotted time period (through store sale) they get put into the adoption scheme.

I think most problems come from the fact that people go to the store and listen to advice given - they are too lazy to do private research before or after.
Ah yeah! I forgot about the adoption scheme. There was one beautiful little dumbo boy that I wanted so badly, but of course wasn't allowed :( Well a few weeks later when I went again he was no longer a little dumbo boy :lol: Then again a few weeks later he was put in the adoption "zone" and someone had him.

There's 2 by me. I much prefer the one that is closet as they seem to know alot about the animals and are really concerned about them, unfortunely tho they never have a wide range of rats - mainly males - so I had to get my girls from the furthest one.
One of the girls who works at the nicer one was telling me about the animals that come in with defects etc and she said that the staff get to take them home or they are kept there as store pets (How true the keeping as store pets bit is, I don't know. But it's nice to know that they don't just chuck animals with illnesses out).

I must be honest that I did some research before getting rats, but not loads. But to be honest, what they told me at PAH is pretty much what I've read on numerous websites.
I'm glad they aren't the same corperation, I never really did like PM when it was around.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I find them to be generally useful, but it's like everyone else - pot luck. You get the ones there who like fish, the ones that like rats/hamsters etc, ones that like rabbits and ones that are paid to pick there nose for a few hours on a saturday.

I happened to see one of the guys this weekend telling a women that a hamster cage (if you've ever seen a Peggy cage by Savic, you'll understand) was suitable for two rats!!! Luckily, I had been talking to this woman when she was looking at adopting two fully grown boys, and she came to me when she saw me buying a rabbit cage for jake, asking me about cages. I had to show her suitable cages (she wanted cheap - so the rabbit cage was suitable for grown boys) but geez. This guy seemed to think that they would fit through 1" bar spacing - you can see these guys are not small dudes! He completely ignored the Freddy 2 AND the Jenny - and showed her the Peggy saying it was more than suitable!!

ooo..that rant came from nowhere :lol:

Not saying that PAH isn't a reasonable place, it's not, but you need to take it with a bucket of salt sometimes

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:lol: Yes, I completely understand about the Saturday guys. Or the ones who just think it's cool to work in a pet shop.

I think I have an idea what the Peggy is (The cheapest one you can buy there...?). I can't believe another member of staff didn't over hear it or something. How can someone be so stupid to suggest that though, when it clearly states on many cages what animal it is suitable for.

I was in there the other weekend and two lads were behind me looking to buy a small pet. One was holding one of those super cruel hamster cages/tanks that's mainly made up of tubes (If you get what I mean)...He turned and said to his mate "Wonder if this would be okay for a rat"...and what did his mate reply with? "Nah, rats can't climb tubes"!! I nearly turned round and said something, but found it amusing to. In the end he got gerbils anyway, with the proper cage etc, as the staff member put him straight.

Yes, that is true. On the whole it seems/is a good place, but then you do have mishaps with them (Such as when I brought Dotty and she was pregnant, and the other weekend when they had a male rat with about 5 females!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts