Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*cross-posted* This is a Canadian Expose but I am sure it applies to everyone.

A coworker of mine told me about a story on Marketplace (CBC program in Canada). It's regarding the cost of purchasing prescriptions through your vet. I just watched the whole episode. It's very interesting. It's 30 min long.

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/cat_got_your_wallet/

Basically the markup is not regulated in Canada, probably not the US either. England it is because pet owners made a really big stink about it. In her experiment with Agent X (her cat) she finds that meds for her cat range from $20 - $80 for one and $5 - $35 for another. They also touch on the issue of getting a prescription and going to a pharmacy. I know some of the members on here do it as well.

Interesting note: Metacam can be purchased at the pharmacy as Novo-Meloxicam.

The worst part when they talk to a representative of the Assoc. of BC Vets he basically says, sorry people, you don't know to ask, we won't help you at all. Suck it up. He actually does say that its only a problem when the consumers say it is a problem. They don't list their prices and vets keep it very quiet about how much they pay for the drug.

The one thing that got me was the cost of the dispensing fee at the vets they found to be $13.99!!! that's bloody more then I pay and I have asked around at ALL pharmacy's here in town.

I'm sure there are some vets that are better then others, but we really have to start questioning everything.

Also after you have watched the video read the letter sent to Vets by the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association. I haven't read it yet, but I will.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That's really interesting. I understand that Vets need to profit, but I think there should be a limit on the price of medication.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts