Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever had mice as pets?? i have heard that they are easily tamed... how similar are they to ratties? i'm just curious

·
Registered
130 Posts
My sister has a pet mouse named Dumbledore. He's really sweet and has never bitten ~ he's been the calmest little thing ever since we bought him. From my point of view, they make really good pets.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I've heard they make better pets than Hamsters, but then again I think most small furry things make better pets than Hamsters.. they're pretty aggressive. Not as smart as rats, of course, but few things are. XD

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I had mice and wanted them to be rats... no dice.

They're cute because they're tiny, but they also tend to be more scared because they're tiny. You can never let them just run around like with rats, but they get lots of exercise on their wheels. And most of them are willing to be pet and picked up some of the time.

And I think mice smell more. They have a special urine-y scent no matter how often you clean their cage...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Mice are lovely little things. But again, they are no rat.

And CaptainFlow, I agree. They DO smell more. I had two girls at one point and I had to clean their cage twice a week - simply because I couldn't stand the smell of them. All of my rats put together don't smell that bad :lol:

·
Registered
899 Posts
They are OKAY pets. Not my idea of a pet...3 mice in a tank...rats are more playfull and friendly full stop lol

((as a little point...why is this is Rat forum ? shouldnt it be in lounge "all non rat topics"))

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Check out the Fun Mouse Forum. It has good info. I have mice and they are very tame, it all depends on how much time you devote to them.
I keep them on forest soil and only change their cage once a month and still you don't smell them. They can tunnel and have tons of fun.

·
Registered
486 Posts
They are the same as any little fuzzy really...Depending on how much time you spend with them, depends on how tame they are.
I had a mouse and she was the cutest little thing ever, she used to sleep in the top pocket of my PJs :lol:

As Ration said, they do have a very distinct smell. They also have a tendency to poo and wee on you as they are incontinent (Or so people have said!)

But I think from now on I'm a rattie addictee :D

·
Registered
468 Posts
Before we got rats, we actually had mice. They're really timid, but just like rats they learn your voice and smell, and will actually let you hold them, and come out when you call them. But they're so tiny that it's hard to actually pet them or bond with them in any way. They also have very short life spans, we've been through 2 in less than seven months. We still have one though. They aren't as personable as rats, because all they need is a wheel and they're fine lol. But if you don't get attached easily to animals they would be a nice little addition to the household. No more mice for me though because i've cried like a baby everytime one has passed.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have had mice and rats i have 8 rat cages and i use to have 1 cage with 3 mice i had to clean the mice cage 1 time everyday and it smelled more by the end of the day then the 8 rat cages did in 5 days

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have 8 mice:
They are not good pets at all, very nervy and all of them hate humans
Well mine are not exactly pets, they are with me for a.......... different reason

·
Registered
263 Posts
A different reason, eh?

My friend had one, long before I got my rats. Cutest little thing Pepper was, but, geez, they're so... Scared. And yeah, they don't mind poopin' and peein' on you every couple minutes, that's for sure. Still, mice>hamsters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts