Rat Forum banner

81 - 100 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Updated states:

Number of states reporting laboratory-confirmed Seoul virus positive results for humans or rats: 7: CO, IL, MN, SC, TN, UT, WI
States with ratteries currently under investigation: 15: AL, CO, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, MN, MO, ND, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

PA is right next to me :( PA actually had rats testing positive. They are slow to update their info, I'm not sure why.

·
Registered
278 Posts
A few ratteries in Canada and the UK have closed doors as some owners have tested positive for antibodies or have a shared rats with the infected breeders. I know that one of the ratteries that tested positive went to a large rodent show which could have greatly contributed to the spread.

I believe this is far more widespread than it seems, the focus is so heavy on ratteries but I'm more concerned about wild rats becoming infected from infected disposed bedding in bins or landfill as the virus can survive from quite some time in the environment.

·
Registered
531 Posts
The CDC says 13 people have been infected as of February 15. This article from another source gives the breakdown for 12.

Twelve people have been infected thus far: seven from Illinois, three from Wisconsin, one from Indiana [1], and one from Utah [2]. The remaining 12 states (CO, ND, MN, IA, MO, AR, LA, TN, AL, IN, MI, and SC) have received rats from rat-breeding facilities that are believed to be the source of the infections, and thus have the potential for cases to develop [3]. - See more at: http://www.healthmap.org/site/diseasedaily/article/seoul-virus-outbreak-us-could-affect-15-states-21517#sthash.HRhZ7Hrw.dpuf

·
Registered
918 Posts
Oh no :( if the virus doesn't harm rats, you'd think the CDC would be working on something that would prevent it being passed to humans? It's so sad :(

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I believe this is far more widespread than it seems, the focus is so heavy on ratteries but I'm more concerned about wild rats becoming infected from infected disposed bedding in bins or landfill as the virus can survive from quite some time in the environment.
It is already believed to be heavily spread among wild rats.

I know of atleast one person who had positive rats euthanized them and put them in the trash so....

The CDC says 13 people have been infected as of February 15. This article from another source gives the breakdown for 12.
IDK what their process is for updating their info. I'm going to be honest it does not give me alot of faith if there was a major health issue out there lol
Most of the info we are hearing from breeders themselves far before the CDC updates their site.

Someone in Colorado tested positive.

Oh no :( if the virus doesn't harm rats, you'd think the CDC would be working on something that would prevent it being passed to humans? It's so sad :(
They have a vaccine in Asia. But I guess it may not work against our strains. It hasn't been approved for the US or Europe. Still it would probably take years before anything was available.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus_vaccine

Everyday I am hearing more people lose all their rats and it is just heartbreaking. So many ratteries are probably closing after this. :(

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's devastating. Whenever I see someone asking where it's safe to buy rats regarding this outbreak, all I can think is, "please please hold off."

I just read on fb that the CDC made a surprise visit to this person's place because their breeder's one rat tested positive. Now they're forcing them to take their rats to the vet to get tested. I mean it makes sense, but I think it would be pretty frightening that they'd make a sudden visit.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
It's devastating. Whenever I see someone asking where it's safe to buy rats regarding this outbreak, all I can think is, "please please hold off."

I just read on fb that the CDC made a surprise visit to this person's place because their breeder's one rat tested positive. Now they're forcing them to take their rats to the vet to get tested. I mean it makes sense, but I think it would be pretty frightening that they'd make a sudden visit.
right? Some people are not taking this seriously at all and it is scary. Because you are risking losing your rats.

People have started trying to fight the CDC and it is getting ugly.

I just read about how after a breeders rats were all euthanized the CDC showed up at her house, took her kid out of school, made her husband come home from work to be tested right then.
And people keep having the CDC, health department and police show up at their house without any prior contact.

And worse it is causing people to freak out and be all anti-goverment and cull all their rats and such :(

It is hard to understand what they are all going through.

There's been some recent speculation over the original source of the outbreak. Names have been removed as there is no solid evidence that I can find to back it up.
It is all just rumors and it really sucks that someone would so openly spread rumors like that :(

They do not know the source yet.

I'm fairly sure I know who they are talking about and that is called coincidence. Oh someone got sick (which is even more disrespectful because she seriously has major health issues that is not related to this virus) and closed their rattery so it must have been them.

Pointing fingers helps no one :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
Copied from the CDC website, PA has been added to the list of confirmed positive results. Georgia is now also under investigation.

Number of laboratory-confirmed recent human cases of Seoul virus: 13

Number of states reporting laboratory-confirmed Seoul virus positive results for humans or rats: 8: CO, IL, MN, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

States with ratteries currently under investigation: 16: AL, CO, GA, IL, IN, IA, LA, MI, MN, MO, ND, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

·
Registered
531 Posts
Just a thought...might this whole thing be important enough to ask the mods to see if this can be an announcement to advise people to be cautious about adopting rats right now? I know lurkers don't always read latest posts but simply use google to find what they need here (that's what I did for 10 years).

·
Registered
511 Posts
This is starting to get really scary. Honestly I'd be more willing to think one of the big warehouse mills was the source because I'm sure wild rats get in and out of there all the time. I wonder why they're not testing large rat mills yet...

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Good news! The CDC is now accepting idexx testing so yay. That is huge big news. (idk if I already said this lol) But it is really important for breeders.

Just a thought...might this whole thing be important enough to ask the mods to see if this can be an announcement to advise people to be cautious about adopting rats right now? I know lurkers don't always read latest posts but simply use google to find what they need here (that's what I did for 10 years).
Maybe they can sticky this thread?

People do need to be careful about buying rats. I have now seen pet people being involved from buying rats from infected people. And if you are linked it is going to be a giant mess to deal with on the best circumstance.

It is so past worried about being sick or even infecting your rats. You are going to have to deal with the government in your life possibly the police and your health department and risk losing some or all of your rats :(

At the very least if you bring them in keep them in quarantine until this is over.

it is just that the investigation is still ongoing, like every few days a new state is added.

This is starting to get really scary. Honestly I'd be more willing to think one of the big warehouse mills was the source because I'm sure wild rats get in and out of there all the time. I wonder why they're not testing large rat mills yet...
That is part of the problem. Mills are not probably even testing. They are only right now looking at breeders connected but this is obviously getting huge.

And while most responsible breeders are temporarily closed and/or testing and trying to stay updated on the info... feeder breeders do this for profit and most are still selling. That includes even many dual purpose breeders.
And ofcourse BYBs and oops litters galore.

If it is not everywhere it will be. So why are they still forcing ratteries into testing/euthanizing all the rats?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree very scary. Looks like we are going to lose good breeders. The mills will just start up with bad specimens like nothing happened. Is the CDC going after these big mills? Are they going to all the pet stores these mills sold to? Are they checking list of people sold to and finding them? Or are they just targeting quality breeders?

China has the vaccine. I'm sure it will need to be tweaked but being expensive should not hold them back from finding a cure. Dogs need vaccines, I'm sure it cost money. The government waste enough money on other stuff. This will save lives.

I understand people can get sick from this but from what I'm reading it's not deadly? We are at risk of getting sick from many things. I take this very seriously but I take killing animals seriously too.

Just needed to rant. I'm frustrated I can't welcome my 1st rats to our home but that doesn't compare to the frustration and sadness from all these animals are being put down. ❤

Thanks for listening
James

·
Registered
531 Posts
Moonkissed- great news! Does that mean that if you get positive results then you are safe should any investigation in NY take place?

I agree very scary. Looks like we are going to lose good breeders. The mills will just start up with bad specimens like nothing happened. Is the CDC going after these big mills? Are they going to all the pet stores these mills sold to? Are they checking list of people sold to and finding them? Or are they just targeting quality breeders?
From what I'm reading on this thread, It seems they aren't sure where it started. There were rumors that it was a mill but those are yet unfounded. I should hope that the big chains would test their own as they would be very open to lawsuits if they gave infected pets to the public. However, I know that for Petsmart, at least, you have to sign a lengthy contract. And although Petsmart does (or did a long time ago) claim to inspect and perform tests on their mills (I'm guessing of course that SV isn't among them!), perhaps the contract still has some sort of statement that says 'you accept the risks of owning a small pet that potentially carries diseases'? This is speculation.

Perhaps they are testing now for SV...but it wouldn't be in their best interest to announce that? I haven't been in a petstore recently...I wonder if they're even selling rats or if they've sent them back if the store is in a state under investigation? They have stopped selling birds for 6 months in the past when the whole bird-flu thing broke out, so I hope they'd consider the same for rats, at least.

Just needed to rant. I'm frustrated I can't welcome my 1st rats to our home but that doesn't compare to the frustration and sadness from all these animals are being put down. ❤
:( Well, just take it as you've got more time to research and prepare (even if you are ready!).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Moonkissed- great news! Does that mean that if you get positive results then you are safe should any investigation in NY take place?

From what I'm reading on this thread, It seems they aren't sure where it started. There were rumors that it was a mill but those are yet unfounded. I should hope that the big chains would test their own as they would be very open to lawsuits if they gave infected pets to the public. However, I know that for Petsmart, at least, you have to sign a lengthy contract. And although Petsmart does (or did a long time ago) claim to inspect and perform tests on their mills (I'm guessing of course that SV isn't among them!), perhaps the contract still has some sort of statement that says 'you accept the risks of owning a small pet that potentially carries diseases'? This is speculation.

Perhaps they are testing now for SV...but it wouldn't be in their best interest to announce that? I haven't been in a petstore recently...I wonder if they're even selling rats or if they've sent them back if the store is in a state under investigation? They have stopped selling birds for 6 months in the past when the whole bird-flu thing broke out, so I hope they'd consider the same for rats, at least.

:( Well, just take it as you've got more time to research and prepare (even if you are ready!).
Ugh more research. haha. I have held off buying hammocks because that would be worse. Cage is already starting to look nice.

I hope they find out where it started if that helps stop spread or find cure. I don't think anyone is at fault unless they intentionally bred wild rats and then sold them and spread the virus that way.

I haven't been at a petstore that sells animals recently. I think they stopped selling rats awhile ago because that boy passed away from rat bite fever.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got back from my local PetCo (leopard gecko ran out of superworms), and they've stopped selling their rats as companions due to the outbreak. One of the works there, whom I put a fair bit of trust in, says that a few infected rats have been found at their supplier; however I would put that forward as rumors.

I must say, I was impressed with the spread of the news after I called my cat's vet. They had heard of the virus's spread, and told me to being in the test cards, and they'll do the procedure and send in the samples for next to nothing. This vet's office doesn't deal with small animals beyond guinea pigs much, and I usually have to travel a good distance to get to my small animal vet, so I was very surprised and impressed.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I must say, I was impressed with the spread of the news after I called my cat's vet. They had heard of the virus's spread, and told me to being in the test cards, and they'll do the procedure and send in the samples for next to nothing. This vet's office doesn't deal with small animals beyond guinea pigs much, and I usually have to travel a good distance to get to my small animal vet, so I was very surprised and impressed.
That is great! Some vets are being absurd with charging high prices for it :( I've seen hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

My vet was awesome about it and I was able to just have them receive the results.

·
Registered
531 Posts
This is from ratguide:

"RISKS: SV-infected pet rats or rat colonies should not be maintained without strict biosecurity protocols and quarantine. They contaminate their environment, and disposalof contaminated bedding and other husbandry supplies can lead to landfill contamination with associated infections of wild rat populations. (Hantaviruses) cansurvive for long periods in the environment: 12-15 days in contaminated beddings. 1Persons that choose to hide potentially Seoul-positive colonies put everyone at risk."

I don't read anything on how to safely dispose of bedding. I'm currently just putting it in a pile at the edge of the woods in my backyard. It seems like anything you do with it will let it contaminate wild populations. I wonder if the virus is killed with people who use fleece bedding? How hot should water be or should bleach always be added?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Sorry I missed this.

If my test results come back negative then I should be fine if the health department comes asking.

I am not worried because I haven't brought in new rats for a bit outside of the window they are really looking right now.

But if I had and one of the ratteries I bought from tested positive they could still come and make me test those specific rats even though I tested cagemates and it would be a waste of time really lol
I do not believe they would do that. They would likely be fine with my test results.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't read anything on how to safely dispose of bedding. I'm currently just putting it in a pile at the edge of the woods in my backyard. It seems like anything you do with it will let it contaminate wild populations. I wonder if the virus is killed with people who use fleece bedding? How hot should water be or should bleach always be added?
On Pg 3 of the report/memo from RatGuide that you referenced in your post, they mention this on how to dispose of bedding:

"When dealing with rat waste and used bedding it is recommended to spray it downwith a bleach solution to prevent airborne particulates. Wetting the bedding fully,double bagging it in strong plastic bags, and putting it in closed trash cans will deterwild rats from interacting with it and becoming infected."

Hope that is helpful. :)

81 - 100 of 138 Posts