Rat Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
On Pg 3 of the report/memo from RatGuide that you referenced in your post, they mention this on how to dispose of bedding:

"When dealing with rat waste and used bedding it is recommended to spray it downwith a bleach solution to prevent airborne particulates. Wetting the bedding fully,double bagging it in strong plastic bags, and putting it in closed trash cans will deterwild rats from interacting with it and becoming infected."

Hope that is helpful. :)
Thanks! I guess that fixes the 'not in my backyard' theme. But that still spreads it at landfills? I suppose one could bag it and let it sit for two weeks first.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Good news...it seems Indiana has been dropped from the list of states under the investigation.

Number of laboratory-confirmed recent human cases of Seoul virus: 13

Number of states reporting laboratory-confirmed Seoul virus positive results for humans or rats: 8: CO, IL, MN, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

States with ratteries currently under investigation: 15 AL, CO, GA, IL, IA, LA, MI, MN, MO, ND, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

·
Registered
531 Posts
As of February 22, Iowa is now on the list of confirmed results for humans or rats.

Number of laboratory-confirmed recent human cases of Seoul virus: 16

Number of states reporting laboratory-confirmed Seoul virus positive results for humans or rats: 9: CO, IA, IL, MN, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

States with ratteries currently under investigation: 15: AL, CO, GA, IL, IA, LA, MI, MN, MO, ND, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
NJ now too. And Delaware

Being in NY with PA & NJ... not feeling great about that :(

Number of laboratory-confirmed recent human cases of Seoul virus: 16

Number of states reporting laboratory-confirmed Seoul virus positive results for humans or rats: 9: CO, IA, IL, MN, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

States with facilities currently under investigation: 18: AL, CO, DE, GA, IL, IA, LA, MD, MI, MN, MO, ND, NJ, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI
I found out today that Idexx sent my results to my vet on 2/7 but my vet said they never got them.... ugh
So I had them resend them. Hoping to hear tomorrow.

Idexx is awesome. They answer questions so fast and even emailed me back to check in when I didn't respond right away!

·
Registered
531 Posts
NJ now too. And Delaware

Being in NY with PA & NJ... not feeling great about that :(

I found out today that Idexx sent my results to my vet on 2/7 but my vet said they never got them.... ugh
So I had them resend them. Hoping to hear tomorrow.

Idexx is awesome. They answer questions so fast and even emailed me back to check in when I didn't respond right away!
And Maryland, ugh.

Well, glad Idexx is working out well!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Thank you all!

http://www.koaa.com/story/34602523/rat-breeder-concerned-about-euthanasia-methods-after-seoul-virus-confirmed

I don't really have any news but things are kindof looking a bit worrisome right now. I think the CDC may have made some choices on how to handle things. And we are waiting to hear what that is.

But atleast one breeder was told that the CDC changed their minds on how they are handling things and would get back to her with what that means...
And in Colorado they will be having a public meeting on changing laws about pets resulting from this... no clue what this yet means.

I am a bit worried :(

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thank you all!

http://www.koaa.com/story/34602523/rat-breeder-concerned-about-euthanasia-methods-after-seoul-virus-confirmed

I don't really have any news but things are kindof looking a bit worrisome right now. I think the CDC may have made some choices on how to handle things. And we are waiting to hear what that is.

But atleast one breeder was told that the CDC changed their minds on how they are handling things and would get back to her with what that means...
And in Colorado they will be having a public meeting on changing laws about pets resulting from this... no clue what this yet means.

I am a bit worried :(
This poor breeder...if she's 'lucky' she'll get to choose 15 out of 100 to keep? This was so sad to watch.

Really worried about the public laws that may change. I remember a long time ago they banned baby turtles under a certain length in some areas because of the salmonella outbreak. The whole thing was surrounded by controversy, but the point being that they made a blanket law making it illegal to sell or own them.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
They are super slow to update lol

Missouri & Georgia were added.

1 more human case.

Sadly no good news. Health departments have been a whole lot of words I can't say here.... Many breeders were told one thing and then now turned around and being told they have to euthanize all of them. It is ugly and breeders are becoming more upset and angry.

Idexx may have also raised their prices from $11 to $35 per rat. I am not 100% sure on that but if so it really sucks.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Thanks, Moonkissed. And speak of the devil...I see today they updated their site today.

As of March 3;

Number of laboratory-confirmed recent human cases of Seoul virus: 17

Number of states reporting laboratory-confirmed Seoul virus positive results for humans or rats: 11: CO, GA, IA, IL, MN, MO, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

States with facilities currently under investigation: 15: CO, DE, GA, IL, ID, IA, MI, MN, MO, NJ, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

·
Registered
531 Posts
There's an update for March 9 on the CDC website, but there has been no change in the reported states.

Number of laboratory-confirmed recent human cases of Seoul virus: 17

Number of states reporting laboratory-confirmed Seoul virus positive results for humans or rats: 11: CO, GA, IA, IL, MN, MO, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

States with facilities currently under investigation: 15: CO, DE, GA, IL, ID, IA, MI, MN, MO, NJ, PA, SC, TN, UT, WI

·
Registered
185 Posts
There's an update for March 9 on the CDC website, but there has been no change in the reported states.

[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR]
Yikes, I see that SC has confirmed positives now. That stinks! What exactly does that mean for someone like me? My boys were originally purchased at Petsmart by the family I got them from. They were roughly 9-12 months old when I got them in Dec. (not sure that age really matters).

I know it was stated previously that only breeders are being questioned/tested. What about the mills that supply Petsmart and the like?

Since there have been positive results in SC, should I get my boys tested? They don't interact with any other rats. The only people they see are me, my boyfriend, and, occasionally, the pet sitter. Would he be at risk? All he does is feed them when we are gone for long weekends, he doesn't play with them.

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yikes, I see that SC has confirmed positives now. That stinks! What exactly does that mean for someone like me? My boys were originally purchased at Petsmart by the family I got them from. They were roughly 9-12 months old when I got them in Dec. (not sure that age really matters).

I know it was stated previously that only breeders are being questioned/tested. What about the mills that supply Petsmart and the like?

Since there have been positive results in SC, should I get my boys tested? They don't interact with any other rats. The only people they see are me, my boyfriend, and, occasionally, the pet sitter. Would he be at risk? All he does is feed them when we are gone for long weekends, he doesn't play with them.

Sorry for so many questions. Thanks!
It is really just your personal choice. If you are at risk (compromised immune system) it is probably a good idea for sure. Just for peace of mind I think it is a good idea. But your choice. It can possibly be airborne kicked up from bedding or such.

It seems to have gone back as far as June, so if you got them in December it is possible they are infected.

Sadly they are currently only looking at breeders/pet homes where an infected rat was sold from or to. So they are only tracing infected rats and doing nothing else. Which is kindof sucky.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I found my answer in the 2/1/17 conference call notes that Asiposea posted. I'm not really satisfied with the answer, because the CDC rep seemed to avoid answering it in a straight-forward manner. But at least the question was asked.

Here's what it said, for others that may be interested:
Q: Are you looking at big box stores and large breeding facilities for a possible ground zero?
A: “In 2012-2013 was the UK situation. Several human cases were found. 30% of pet owners had antibodies and therewere minor cases in humans; however only the urine was tested, which is not a good test to do. Also humans weretested and rats were not. And no rats were depopulated, even in big producers. In the USA, they have not startedinvestigating that. The situation with big facilities is different because they have huge amounts and they can easily lockdown, including locking in any wild rats loose in the facilities. So they will not have rats that can be sold on lock down, sothere are no rats to investigate. Thus far no link has been made to this outbreak and the large facilities.”

·
Registered
185 Posts
Sadly they are currently only looking at breeders/pet homes where an infected rat was sold from or to. So they are only tracing infected rats and doing nothing else. Which is kindof sucky.
Yes it is. It's almost like they are avoiding testing the big box stores and mills, because they may just open pandora's box. I'm honestly still confused with the answer they provided to question in 2/1/17 conference call. So, because a big facility can "lockdown" there are no rats to investigate??

Anyways, I'm going to look into the IDEXX test now. Sucks.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Yes it is. It's almost like they are avoiding testing the big box stores and mills, because they may just open pandora's box. I'm honestly still confused with the answer they provided to question in 2/1/17 conference call. So, because a big facility can "lockdown" there are no rats to investigate??

Anyways, I'm going to look into the IDEXX test now. Sucks.
It feels very much like they just know they can bully pet breeders honestly. A large mill or pet store will have lawyers and can fight.

By lockdown they prob mean a larger place doesn't care if they test positive and can just euthanize the rats without issue. But I doubt they test and that is the problem.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Somewhere in this thread people asked about helping some of the breeders affected or being able to donate.

I hope this is ok to post as none of these is me.

These are some of the breeders who have been affected and are asking for donations to help cover testing costs.

Many have been given the option to test or euthanize & testing is not cheap. I can't imagine being in that situation :(
I know them & they are all really lovely breeders & wonderful people and this is just so difficult for them.

If anyone wants to help any of them out, every tiny bit counts or even just send well wishes or positive thoughts/prayers I am sure they would appreciate it.

Honestly it is so wonderful, so many of us suggested and pushed them into accepting donations and they didn't want to ask for hand outs but they do not want to have to euthanize their rats, so I am really glad they are.

Cosmic Curls Rattery - https://www.gofundme.com/save-the-rattiesseoul-testing-fund
Fairly Rats Rattery - GoFundMe.com/FairlyRatsWillTestNegative
A Rats Tale Rattery - gofundme.com/seoul-testing-sponsorship
Pam's House of Bloos Rattery - https://www.gofundme.com/seoul-virus-testing

101 - 120 of 138 Posts