Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought two rats from Petsmart, one died from what I think was parasites...but I can't be too sure. I took the other to the vet and she is doing very well currently. I love her greatly.

Petsmart is said to guarantee that their pets are vet-checked before they are put up for adoption. For the most part, I trust their word...

I've decided that I want to get a little rat companion for my rat Pika. She seems lonely in her cage and I'm sure it would be better for her if she had someone to cuddle up with at night.

Anyway, here is the problem at hand. There is this little Dumbo rat at Petsmart that I've taken a liking to. It is the runt of the litter and the workers said that they had to put her in another cage because the bigger rats were picking on her. There are small patches of fur missing from her back. She is only a baby and she seems very nice otherwise... I am hoping that they are being truthful when they say that the small bald spots are just from being picked on and not from mites or anything like that. How would I check her for mites?

What should I do? Should I get the baby and quarantine her for a while to make sure she's healthy? Or should I avoid getting a rat from Petsmart entirely? Considering that's probably the only place that I can get another rat from that's anywhere near me. I've looked up breeders before and they're all too far away... I could really use some advice ASAP. Thanks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would avoid getting ANYTHING from petsmart. They recently had a problem with their supplier. Apparently they were abusing the animals..and, well, it's a sick story, and Petsmart said that they are investigating, but will continue buying from these messed up people unless they find something. As much as Petsmart sucks (I think), I wouldn't reccomend really going to a pet store for a rat, anyway.

P.S. If you want to know more about the Petsmart/Rainbow World Exotics stuff, you can google it, or go to Petsmartcruelty.com

Edit: I just re-read your post and realized that you said this was probably the only place you could get a rat. In that case, I'm really not sure what you should do..are there any other pet stores around? IMO, as much as it's not always a good experience with pet store animals, if you really want another rattie, I say go for it...(just not at Petsmart. lol)

Btw, have you tried looking on craigslist or petfinder?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I have looked on craigslist and petfinder... Couldn't find anything in my area. And all of the rats that they were trying to give away were elderly and on their last leg. Probably because they couldn't bear the deaths of their rats.

I have mixed feelings about petsmart. The one here in my town seems really well-managed...and Pika turned out to be a really nice rat.

·
Registered
486 Posts
At the end of the day it's up to you whether you get her.
If you do just make sure that you quarantine her for at least 2 weeks from Pika. There's a sticky at the top of the general rat forum that explains about introducing a new rat to your mischief.

:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I agree with emster. Everything I said is all my opinion, and it's ultimately up to you. If you really want that cute little dumbo (I can't say I blame you--dumbos are my favorite), just make sure she's quarantined.

Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My thanks to the both of you. I'm really nervous about the whole thing. I would hate for Pika to fall ill.

I also have the issue of roommates. BOO! Haha

Part of the quarantine is to have your new rat in a different room than your current resident rat. The problem with that is, I don't think my roomies would want the new rat's cage in any other room but my own. I could put her in the bathroom, but the quarantine says that it's best to not have them in even a joined room. So I'm a bit confused at this point...Whether it would be better to have Pika as a lone rat (who gets a LOT of attention, mind you) or to introduce a new rat and take the risk.

I guess it's more of a question of whether it's worth the risk to get Pika a friend or not...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, you're technically supposed to have the rat in a seperate air space for the 3 weeks, which actuallly means a different house, if at all possible. I know what you mean about roommates, though. Sorry I can't help more than this, but I guess it just comes down to how much of a risk you're willing to take..

Either way, keep us updated on your decision, and your rattie(s)...bc I'm sure you'll end up getting her a friend. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts