Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to some pet stores last night looking to buy some new toys for the girls and I had forgotten but a few days ago a friend of mine told me the one store had babies. Sure enough when I went in there they were, about 12-15 of them, eyes not open yet, but had fur. I think theyre going as snake food even though they had pamphlets about rats as pets hidden behind the cage. There were two large rats in with the babies. Obviously one was the mom (nursing), can they leave the dad in with the babies as well?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If they leave the Dad in with Mom and the babies, he will likely get her pregnant again immediately after birth (or very soon thereafter), which will cause the first litter to be weaned early and the mother to get weakened by constant pregnancy.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
can theybe left together?

Yes

Should they be left together... entirely different subject & subject to ethical/moralistic scrutiny

My personal view regarding the care of a rat that is regarded as a PET rat is a resounding NO. He should not be left in the tank because of the medical/scientific fact that the female rat is fertile within 48 hours after giving birth & she can become pregnant again if a coupling takes place. This is very unhealthy for the female & it will cause her to be very unhealthy & this will result in the offspring being undersized & unhealthy. However, if this is the only concern for this rat, for her to produce as many feeders as possible before she herself is tossed into a feeder bin then... well, that again is another entirely different subject that really isn't suited for this particular board.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The other rat the was in the cage with her turned out to be another female. The last time I was in there she was by herself with her babies. Made me feel a little bit better anyways. I knew they could get preggie soon after, but sheesh, 48 hours! Thats amazing.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Actually, a female rat can get pregnant *immediately* after giving birth. I'm sorry to say, my EX-foster tested this theory, and kept daddy in, despite telling us she was removing him (lesson was learned! we now do NOT allow fosters both sexes and split between quarantine homes when we have mixed genders), and we ended up with mama giving birth and pregnant again. We got her an e-spay, but dad was in there for *2 hours*, max after rittens were born (13).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts