Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, as some of oyu may know, the store i got my first rats from were kept in horrible conditions, a mixed gender tank only about 10 gallons, that had about 15-20 rats in it, about 5-6 weeks. my two boys had mites :(

i was in the mall the other day because my step mom had to go to the dollar store, so i decided to take a look in the store. i was disgusted. there were 30-40 mice about 5-7 cm long in total, in a 10 gallon, and then we have the rats, roughly the same size as the mice, they only looked 3-4 weeks old! and there were 15 (ish) of them all looking ill, none of them even came to the glass or took interest when i looked near them. there was this one adorable bird, every time you moved he would turn his head and follow your every movement :p and a hamster trying to scale the walls but since the bars were vertical his hands were just slipping down no matter how hard he tried :p

then there was this lady that looked at the rats and said "look at these little mice!" i said "no, those are the mice, but i see where you got confused, they're about the same size and WAY too young to even have left their mother yet, and soon some of them will be pregnant and having babies of there own!" i was mad. then i told her all about rats and stuff.

then there were a few anoles, most of them brown which means they're stressed, i asked the owner how big they would get and he says "as big as the biggest ones in there" i thought to myself, ya thanks that was helpful, then i went home and researched them, guess what? they get a tleast 2 inches bigger than the biggest ones in there!

i know for sure i'm not buying anything from that store ever again

·
Registered
971 Posts
Ouch! Yeah, let pet people you know in your area to avoid it too! Ouch!

I'm lucky - Out of the 6 local pet stores (w/in 30 minute drive), there is one that breeds PET rats of decent quality - Dumbos only. And their supplier for other "pettish" rats is decnet too. Tho one store breeds their own and for awhile the whole pet store smelled strongly of old bedding! YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy I have at least that one.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I agree. Find a shelter, contact a local news station, and let the owner/workers know you are bringing attention to the poor conditions of their store.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts