Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They called me and said that a lady had brought 4 baby males to the store and dropped them off (oops litter) and they were full so they called me to come get them....weird. I didnt expect that at all.

They are gorgeous little boys - very well socialized and seemingly healthy. A trip to the vet is in store to confirm that.

Im still just weirded out that they called me. I thought that petsmart and petco took in and adopted 'unwanted' or 'surrendered' rats? I thought that was something that they just did.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hm, didn't know they did that.

Huh? How did they have your number/know you might be interested in more rats? o_O;

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had gone up there a while back on the advce of a poster here to ask them to quit selling my daughter rats b/c she just wasnt taking care of the ones she had. Long story short, I started taking in rats that no one wanted. Thats how they foudn out that I would.

Im just confused as to THAT they would. I really thought that surrender was a service of the store. Not that I am complaining though...Ive been extremely UNDER-whelmed by petco as well as petsmart. :(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Happily, I've got a rat-expert I'm recognizing at Petsmart. She's had rats, and seems to know what's going on. I've listened to her advice, and it's matched up with what's been said on here so far.

Petco, though... I haven't gone there enough to tell you whether or not I've got a knowlagable worker there ^^

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know that they do take in unwanted rats because that how I got my first rattie (RIP Nibblers) Once they get them in, they have them checked out and then put them up for adoption. but they can only keep the ones that they have enough resources for. They can't just pull stuff off the shelf to accomodate more rats so they try to find homes for them failry quikly. At least that's the procedure at the petco were my g/f works now.

They do the same thing to her. If they don't have room they offer them to her. Sadly we had to turn a few down because the were males and had a small cage at the time. She's the unofficial small animal (mainly rat) expert there.

As long as they go to a good home, thats what really matters.

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I got my FN I went to Petco to see if they had and ADULT MALES (that part is important) that needed homes in their adoption program. After waiting 30 minutes in a practically empty store to even be greeted I was told they didn't have any rats, then the woman tried to talk me into a hamster. After restating that we were looking for companion adults males (big bar spacing + little ratties = no ratties) that needed homes she tried to sell me some baby females....

I work at a pet store and I know that not all are bad.. but Petco is not a good place, no one seems to know what their really talking about at the one near me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
See, I have had nothing but good experiences at petco. I think its more because of the staff then anything. All of the employees at the one I go to (and that my g/f works at now) has been really good at answering our questions. The manager is picky when it comes to hiring. He doesn't just hire college or highschool kids just that just want to make an extra buck. I guess I've just been lucky.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jellybeanqueen said:
wow, that is odd.
but at least they're in good hands now! :)
are you going to be keeping any of them?
Ive fallen in love wiht them all of course LOL
But Im going to limit myself to 2 :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts