Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get asked to bring my rats to work sometimes. I used to keep them in a hamster cage for the day and bring them throughout the day (let them crawl on me while at my desk, etc). But it seems a little unfair to keep them in such a small space. I have a Rat Manor on hold until I can go pick it up. But I was wondering how much it weighed? I won't be able to keep the cage at my workplace, so it'll involve being moved around. It's a rare occasion so it's not too much of a hassle. Unless it weighs as much as a CN or something. :p Anyway, can anyone give me an approximate weight? That way I can be prepared (maybe attach wheels to the bottom or something).

On a random note, what is a fuzlet? (Sorry, looked at my status and it called me a zooming one) LOL

·
Registered
908 Posts
Hmm... Maybe about 13lbs? I would note that it is unwieldy too... and would be top-heavy when transported (maybe you could buckle it into the car)? I think a bin cage might be a better solution for your situation. Get a big bin, some 1/2" hardware cloth and add the cloth to the sides and top. You can add hammocks, water bottle, etc. and it is much lighter than the RM. Plus, easier to clean (just hose it out). I no longer use my RM (upgraded) mainly because it is hard to clean. It was hard to carry too... the handles are on the top and halfway to the bottom of the cage, I always worried that the metal clips wouldn't be strong enough to hold the metal base and that it would fall off when I lifted it. I have a bin cage that I used when my rats were pups. I still have it and plan to use it if I ever need a quarantine tub, etc. It was much easier to hold and carry than the RM.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's not so heavy but when it's put together I know I can't fit it in my car.. might want to check the hight too!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, maybe I will do a bin cage then... That would be a lot cheaper. I dunno. I just thought since it was my work, I should have it look semi-nice... Maybe I'll just do the bin cage until I can get something collapsible... Or get permission to leave a cage at work (and then bring in the rats every day! LOL).

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
What about a cat carrier/dog carrier? Specifically the "fabric" kind, but also the plastic kind. Light, portable, provide considerable room, and also provide privacy.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd be afraid they'd chew through it. And I don't want to confine them to a small carrier space for the entire day. I work an hour from home, so when my rats come with me, they are with me for the entire day... 10 hours including the drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts