Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Cat and Lenny
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know why I did this to myself. I visited a petstore today- one I knew kept ratties. I stood at the rat cages for about 20minutes just watching them play or scuttle around.

All of the ratteries in my area are booked full and the waiting lists are endless and right here in front of me is a bunch of beautiful little creatures that need saving and could go home with me immediately... I know I just have to be patient and wait for a rattery rat but the petstore is terrible.

I'm not lying to you, they kept 16 little babes in one hamster tank. No ventilation. Some of them were breathing hard or were squinting their eyes.

I know you don't rescue the rats when you buy them. You will just be feeding the wicked system, but surely there must be something else we can do?

·
Registered
770 Posts
You could start a patition???? I know I would "sign" it.

·
Registered
Cat and Lenny
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Contact animal control and report it if you can. There are likely, at the very least, rules about the conditions commercially bred/sold animals need to be kept in. I would say look it up first but I only know how to look up USA animal laws.
Yes. I sent an email to our local animal rescue- motivating why they need help. Their website said they will send an official out to the location to inspect. Hopefully they can help.

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
429 Posts
If you have money, offer to take a sick one for free. You can give it vet care and give it a good life after without supporting!

·
Registered
Cat and Lenny
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is not a bad idea, but I might be pessimistic in my thinking that they probably won't surrender a rat for no compensation. Pet stores are a business after all.

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
429 Posts
That is not a bad idea, but I might be pessimistic in my thinking that they probably won't surrender a rat for no compensation. Pet stores are a business after all.
If you probably point out a REALLY sick rat, they may, because it looks bad. You can also threaten to report their pet shop to animal abuse, or start a petition unless they give you the rat to treat it. I've used these methods to get sick fish from pet stores and here is the success rate
.If you point out a really sick animal: 60% success rate
.Threaten to report them, or start a petition: 100% success rate

·
Registered
770 Posts
Reactions: RatCrazyGirl
1 - 11 of 11 Posts