Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are PEWs high white? I don't believe they are but i could be wrong.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If they are like ferrets, no. They can actually be anything-black hooded, agouti, siamese ect you get the picture-the albino is actually a missing enzyme that suppresses all color.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't think they were. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
In theory they could be, its one of those where Pink Eyed Whites can be made in a number of ways as its essentially just a white rat with pink eyes. The most common genetics of a PEW is albino (which can hide anything underneath, including high white) but you could also get a heavily marked high white that was a pink eyed variety, say a siamese or champeign. Or you could have a roan pale coloured rat with pink eyes who roaned out to a PEW. In reality you will only know for sure by knowing the family lines and genetics (and even then there are always surprises lol) but its probably safe to assume most PEWS are albinos

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are Albinos all high whites?
Albino's are not high white, they can be any color. So They could be, but they could be any color-they have an enzyme suppressing melanin production. As Ismurat said, you could have a PEW that is not albino, but just very faded so they appear all white with pink eyes.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
In the US most PEW rats are lab surplus albino rats or rats bred from albino strains. That's not to say they were used in labs just that the breeders got their rats from labs or cater to labs.

High whites are relatively rare in general. It's even more uncommon that anyone is actually breeding high whites as a specialty although there are some breeders that do.

There is a big difference between what a PEW could be and what it actually is. Usually pet shops will get in a whole shipment of PEW's from a breeder either as pets or feeders, you can pretty much assume they're one of the common albino lab strains that they got a good deal on.

Likewise there were actually several companies that made watches with solid gold cases, but in general you won't find too many at a flea market. Most will be gold plated or gold tone. I'm sure there are high white genetics in some PEW rats, but you can pretty safely bet against finding one at a pet shop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts