Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ophelia was introduced at least three months ago. She is always my hyper girl. Lately she has a lot of scabs that my others don't have. I am considering mite treatment. However it's unlikely.

I am wondering if perhaps standard pews show scabs easier? I doubt she is being bullied aggressively as it has been so long with the group and I did intros slow enough.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would spend a bit of time watching your group interact. Often when there is one rat with scabs on in a group theres some politics going on. In girl groups its actually very normal for one rat to take a dislike to another on some occasions, but also curl up and sleep with them. In other cases the girl themselves causes the issue, she could be a bit big for her boots and trying it on with the dominant rats, or not understand rat language properly so make ratty mistakes.

Out of interest was she a lone rat in the past?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, she was part of a hoarding case. She does seem to struggle with basic rat language (or outright ignores it...) so I knew that was causing problems but for about two months there wasn't an issue. I do know two girls dislike her but when I do small space intros they get along great.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
That’s unfortunately normal in the kind of socially awkward rat cases. Its also a bit of a pain as you have a few choices to resolve it. You can try going back to smaller spaces (or stick her and those that dislike her in a very small carrier for a few hours to see if they get over it) but it quite often doesn’t resolve, as like you say in a small space they are fine. You can accept that shes going to get a few bites now and then, as long as they aren’t big or serious and shes happy in the group and eating well its fine. Or you could try her in another group if you have that option, especially if you’ve got a small group with patient older rats in it (this is something my friend who has a few girl groups has to do occasionally). In theory you could spay one or more of the rats involved, it can change some behaviours if theres a hormonal driver, but it doesn’t feel like its that serious to me, and probably more down to her being slightly scarred from her early life.

If she lived in a much smaller cage before it might be that the larger cage is adding to her social awkwardness. If you don’t have another group it might be that you can set up your cage in a way that gives her smaller sections to be in, whilst still giving the other rats space to explore.

To be honest if she seems unbothered and the wounds are tiny I would probably monitor it for a few weeks, probably with some time out for her and those that don’t like her in a small carrier.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She does seem to be awkward and does flourish when allowed to have more room away from the mischief. But, I've only the one big cage. I did just make it bigger.

I think part of the problem is she is a year younger and more interested in playing when the others don't want to.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts