Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right place but ahwell.

Both of my himalayan dumbos seem to be showing signs of pregnancy..Round lil bellies..Losing hair round the nipples...No signs of being in heat..

If anyone could help me with other things i can look for to make sure they are not pregnant i would be happy.

Unless their is a wild rat roaming my house..then as far as i know they havnt been in contact with males. I only own females..

My other female hasnt had proper free range time yet. Only sitting with me on my bed untill shes a bit more tame. And she has no signs.

Could it be a phantom pregnancy ??

All advice appreciated

x

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
How long have you had them home?

Rats don't often have phantom pregnancies but do get pyometra's which can fool people into thinking they are pregnant. A closed pyo ends up with a big belly on a rat, but the uterus is actually full of pus :(

Could you be mistaken at all?

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lilspaz68 said:
How long have you had them home?

Rats don't often have phantom pregnancies but do get pyometra's which can fool people into thinking they are pregnant. A closed pyo ends up with a big belly on a rat, but the uterus is actually full of pus :(

Could you be mistaken at all?
Ive had those two for around 9 months.

It may be that. But they are showing other signs. For instance the loss of hair round the nipples. And personality changes as they are less willing to play with me.

How does pyometra's happen ?? Does a vet have to diagnose it ?? What treatment will be used ??

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
**** that looks nasty.
They are going to the vet anyway soon. Because one of them has a cloudy eye.

No they arnt sisters. Just buddies lol

Could Pyo be passed to the other girl if they have it ??

How long would a phantom pregnancy last ? is there anything i need to worry about ?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I found these on Goosemoose :)

If it were a phantom pregnancy, she would have swelled up for a couple of weeks and then have gone slim again after 3 weeks or so.
She might have genital myco which causes infertility or the babies to be reabsorbed, and can also cause infection in the uterus causing it to swell greatly. Definitely get her seen by a vet, she might need antibiotics. An x-ray could confirm what is going on inside her.

the male had a genetic defect which caused the three girls which i kept from the litter to develop uteran tumors which led to death at a relatively young age. Worry

You've had the girls for 9 months right? How old are they?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Two pyometras in unrelated rats at the same time would seem suspect to me, because it's more of an internal thing. All the same, ask the vet... wait too long with a pyometra and it'll kill them. And you could look into an emergancy spay also, if he feels they are, in fact, pregnant.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lilspaz68 said:
You've had the girls for 9 months right? How old are they?
They are roughly 10 + 11 months old. Maybe slightly older.

Forensic : They are booked to goto the vet in a few days.

If it is indeed Pyo.. What else would cause these changes? aka nesting , no signs of heat , Losing hair round nipples..

**is now worried about her girls**

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Probably something that shows their tum. :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Do an overhead pic, that will show the particular bulge they get on thei "waist", you can do a standing show belly from front pic (but they are often misleading)

For examples..

Bronwen when I got her home...11 days prior to birth

8 days before birth

5 days before birth

My poor beached whale...2 days before birth

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for no picstures at the moment my home computer is broken so i can only get on occasioanlly at work.

One of them is slowly "deflating " but the other is exactly the same no change that i can tell. But shes getting very annoyed if i try to pick her up so i cant really check

1 - 15 of 15 Posts