Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phyllis is home. I'm guessing her to be around 10-12 weeks old. She is a very active little lady. She is very clean, grooms herself, fur looks healthy. Poops are normal. Drinks enough. She wants to eat everything lol. Both eyes this morning had some porphyrin, but I think it's stress and unfortunately new CareFresh bedding which is VERY dusty. It was all I had last night. I'm swapping it out for cob bedding today.

After the snake feeding fiasco, I brought my daughter the Martins cage to get her out of the fish tank. Tara only interacted with Phyllis to feed her. So now she thinks every time I come to the cage, I have food. She bites my fingers. A lot. Even my knuckles. Even my arm!! Not hard, just tasting every part of me. So I stuck my whole head in the cage last night and she gave me a very thorough sniffing; all around my eyes, my glasses, my nose, my hair. No biting. Huge human heads don't bring treats apparently. I am feeding cream of wheat on a metal spoon. All other food goes in a bowl. If she does try to bite my hand, I blow a puff of air at her and she stops ;)

I'm sure her eyesight is pretty bad. She uses her nose and whiskers to navigate the cage. I know this is common, but it's my first one who really seems to not see me. I can wave my hand, go right at her face and she doesn't react until I touch her back. Then she's startled and moves away but doesn't seem to know where she's going. I tap the food bowl to get her to come to the door, so she follows the sound.

Phyllis, welcome to the Church Street Foster Home!!
IMG_9519.JPG
IMG_9527.JPG

Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
Awww, hi Phyllis!! She is sooo cute.

Any fellow Office friends?! I love Phyllis from the office.馃槀馃槀

Registered
She's a sweetie!
When I first got Gigi, I had a tough time getting her to approach me. One day, for no particular reason, I let her get face-to-face with me. She did the same thing yours did, total face inspection. For some reason, that seemed to make her more willing to interact with me. Every once in a while, we re-do the face inspection. She never bites and it seems to help. {shrug}

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awww, hi Phyllis!! She is sooo cute.

Any fellow Office friends?! I love Phyllis from the office.馃槀馃槀
:ROFLMAO: I never thought of that!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 2 of Phyllis. We have learned not to 'bite' the hand that feeds you. People are not food. A metal spoon with cream of wheat is, and guess who's licking it off my fingers now? Only took one day for her to understand. She still 'tastes' me, but no biting. She got a hidey box and some newspaper last night, but I think she is still so lonely. Can't wait for the new kids to arrive.

Registered
Day 2 of Phyllis. We have learned not to 'bite' the hand that feeds you. People are not food. A metal spoon with cream of wheat is, and guess who's licking it off my fingers now? Only took one day for her to understand. She still 'tastes' me, but no biting. She got a hidey box and some newspaper last night, but I think she is still so lonely. Can't wait for the new kids to arrive.
They cave cat toys that squeak when they're nudged or moved. O gave one to Susie .... it seems to help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They cave cat toys that squeak when they're nudged or moved. O gave one to Susie .... it seems to help.
I might just do that, it may be another week before the new kids show up. Thanks!

Reactions: lfraser06
1 - 9 of 9 Posts