Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just joined. Came across the forum by accident when I was researching and looking for help. One of my rats had a small electric shock last night. Other rat chewed through lead I didn’t realise was all. And Scooby walked in the wrong place. His back legs and tail are paraplysed at min. Got him straight to emergency vet and she checked him over and said he does have feeling in his back legs and some movement so we are hoping he is going to be ok. I separated him and kept him with me last night and gave him food and water throughout night and moved him away from his pees and poops. Vet said to let him rest couple of days and then do leg massages with him. She gave him anti inflammatory and steroid injection. Is there anything else I can do and should be doing/looking for? Normal vet opens on Tuesday and will take him for another check up. Devastated and pray he’s gonna be ok. Thanks for reading x

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Hi all. I just joined. Came across the forum by accident when I was researching and looking for help. One of my rats had a small electric shock last night. Other rat chewed through lead I didn’t realise was all. And Scooby walked in the wrong place. His back legs and tail are paraplysed at min. Got him straight to emergency vet and she checked him over and said he does have feeling in his back legs and some movement so we are hoping he is going to be ok. I separated him and kept him with me last night and gave him food and water throughout night and moved him away from his pees and poops. Vet said to let him rest couple of days and then do leg massages with him. She gave him anti inflammatory and steroid injection. Is there anything else I can do and should be doing/looking for? Normal vet opens on Tuesday and will take him for another check up. Devastated and pray he’s gonna be ok. Thanks for reading x
I am not familiar with these type of injuries sorry, maybe read up on google (though I just did and cant find much) and just follow the vets advice, hopefully someone else will chime in here with something
Thats so sad, I hope he will be ok xx

Did he get burned at all?
I'm so thankful my boys dont chew wires but after reading this i'm going to make sure i'm extra careful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not familiar with these type of injuries sorry, maybe read up on google (though I just did and cant find much) and just follow the vets advice, hopefully someone else will chime in here with something
Thats so sad, I hope he will be ok xx

Did he get burned at all?
I'm so thankful my boys dont chew wires but after reading this i'm going to make sure i'm extra careful
Thanks so much for reading and replying. Yeah am kicking myself. Feel so guilty. He got burned very slightly under his front leg so I cleaned it and keeping eye on it. He can pee and poo tho I’m helping him. His penis is bit swollen and some blood coming out with pee tho just the odd time. He’s in good form and moving about even tho his back legs are dragging. Just praying he’ll be ok and come thru it and get movement back x

·
Registered
474 Posts
Peeing blood doesn't seem like a normal electrocution side effect, but I'm not experienced with this type of injury. I hope that that goes away.
Sending love your way, hope he gets better soon!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Peeing blood doesn't seem like a normal electrocution side effect, but I'm not experienced with this type of injury. I hope that that goes away.
Sending love your way, hope he gets better soon!
Took him back to emergency vet last night as worried he had an UTI with the steroid injection and then lying in pee (even tho I clean him constantly). She said his blood had no pee in it but gave me baytril anyway so he’s been on that since last night. Hoping to get normal vet tomorrow when they reopen as emergency vet didn’t really have a clue. Thanks for your thoughts. Fingers crossed as he’s eating and drinking and as happy as he can be god love him xx

·
Registered
474 Posts
Male sure to give him a little extra protein and iron for the blood loss. I believe vitamin c is also important to buff up on

1 - 7 of 7 Posts