Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I separated Tali from her sister for the first time since they were born because I assumed that the bloody scabs all over her neck, shoulders, and back were from fighting. (the girls do tussle sometimes, and their sire was nippy, so I am being cautious.)

My husband doesn't believe one of his sweet babies mauled the other, and he thinks it is mites. I just don't know. I've separated them, but it seems like Tali had yet another booboo today with her sister out of the cage. Or maybe it was there as a scab and she just groomed it open? The shoulder scabs are especially big wounds.

Here are some pics. I need advice. I am fretting over my wigglebutts! : ( I don't want it to be EITHER mites or aggression. Why would a spayed female aggress against her sister and lifelong cagemate just out of the blue like that?

talibooboo2.jpg Talibooboo3.jpg Talibooboo.jpg

·
Registered
680 Posts
Have you seen her veraciously itching? Seems like if she were itchy enough to do that to herself you'd have noticed by now.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you seen her veraciously itching? Seems like if she were itchy enough to do that to herself you'd have noticed by now.
Yeah, she does not seem to be itching much. I put she and her sister in their smaller cage together and put it next to my bed . If there's any fighting, I should hear it. I honestly would prefer mites, as that can at least be easily fixed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Shoulder scabs are probably because she was able to scratch at them with her hind legs. Have you trimmed her back toenails? (This will keep her from further exacerbating the wounds which can result in a vicious cycle in which the wounds never heal.)

My hunch is that it's mites and, in any case, you can always treat for mites and it won't harm Tali if she ends up not having mites. That's a great page Amph referred you to from The Rat Fan Page. Here's also a page on my website that gives more information about External Parasiteshttp://aboutpetrats.com/health/common-health-problems/external-parasites.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So they have not been fighting today, and they have not been itching, either. I noticed that Edi had some "bites" (Maybe?) under her chin, as well, but they aren't nearly as scary looking as Tali's which is why I didn't notice them sooner. I think I'm going to buy some Revolution and follow instructions for application. Like you said, About, it can't hurt.

Thanks for the info.

I'm still curious to hear if someone has experience with rats suddenly showing aggression towards each other when they've been fine in the past. In case it isn't mites. : (

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've definitely had males become aggressive toward one another after living together quite peacefully for over a year. Haven't had this experience with females, however. Then again, I've had many more males than females.

If you do get some Revolution, be sure and get it from a veterinarian. If you get Revolution from another source it could be diverted product as the manufacturer only sells to veterinarians. (Where to Buy Medicationshttp://aboutpetrats.com/health/where-to-buy-medications)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts