Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picasso is the most adventerous, and irritating pet i've ever had in my life, ha ha. it's not that i don't truly love her, because i do, but she always gets what she wants. last night the rats got out of their cage while i was at work (no doubt picasso's work) and my roommate called to let me know they were free (but not to help catch them - she just closed my door). while they were out they chewed through the wires of my old subwoofer and stole a candy cane out of the trash and cleaned out a bowl of corn chowder i hadn't quite gotten to the dishwasher yet. when i grabbed the piece of candy cane from picasso she squeaked at me and tried to fight me for it. admittedly, it was cute, but she has to know that she doesn't always get what she wants! today she stole a tea light candle and again protested when i tried to take it from her. she squeaks and boxes with me for everything! does anyone else have bossy rats? or do i just let her walk all over me, haha?

EDIT: other things that she does when she thinks i'm not looking -- she knows it's a bad thing because if she hears me move she freezes, knowing that i'm going to pick her up and scold her:
~pull the fluff out of my furry slippers
~chew on the corner of my desk
~chew on the subwoofer under my desk
~climb in my laundry hamper
~dig through the trash

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Yes! I had that EXACT same scene happen in my house, only it was a cellophane wrapped mazapan. Belgie stole it, and put up a huge fuss when I (or Sevilla or Lola!) tried to take it from her. I had to chase her all the way around my bed and around her cage before I finally cornered her and took it away. She knew what she was doing, I know she did...

·
Registered
418 Posts
lol. That's so cute! I would certainly say I have the same issues with Betty. She even tried to steal my cellphone once (and seriously, this phone weighs almost as much as she does)!

·
Registered
229 Posts
My little Dust, who is sitting on my shoulder right now as I type, loves peas so much she'll do anything for them. Even if it means stealing. Every night after they get their medication for respiratory infections I give them both peas to say "I'm sorry", and Dust always steals Gohma's pea from her.

The first time she did it I took her out of the cage and had to pry to pea out from between her teeth. Gohma gratefully took it and finished it off, but for the past two nights Gohma hasn't been showing much interest in peas, or even grapes.

·
Registered
38 Posts
samantha is the same way! whenever i eat anything around her, she runs up my arm to the plate and tries to steal the food. so far my favorites have been when she tried to steal an omelet and was trying to drag the whole thing away (i had barely started it), and when she stole sausages from me. it was literally tug-of-war...with her winning. then after i got it back from her, she tried to steal a second piece of sausage. but its hard to be mad when i'm laughing so hard because she's trying to run away with food as big as or bigger than she is!

·
Registered
879 Posts
sammyratty said:
samantha is the same way! whenever i eat anything around her, she runs up my arm to the plate and tries to steal the food. so far my favorites have been when she tried to steal an omelet and was trying to drag the whole thing away (i had barely started it), and when she stole sausages from me. it was literally tug-of-war...with her winning. then after i got it back from her, she tried to steal a second piece of sausage. but its hard to be mad when i'm laughing so hard because she's trying to run away with food as big as or bigger than she is!
I know in the wild rats probably eat bugs occasionally or some sort of meat that they end up finding. Is it ok that your rat ate sausage? My mom's step bro had rats when they were young. He had one that just hung out with him all the time sat and watched tv with him. One day he ate a piece of meat and he became very aggressive and started biting. Do rats really become aggressive from meat? Yours didnt seem to have a problem?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Wow im guessin i have all this to look forward to with my ratties

actually u lot talkin about rats being naughty ive just cleaned out the rats cage ...
put new newspaper down new beddin new food new water got all the poo out ect shook out there bed took away there fabric bedding(old baby clothes which they love to snuggle with) and then i come back to my desk to go on my pc look over at the cage and stella and celery had decided to get there box(there bed filled with nice bedding and not there pissy baby clothes ) and tipped it everywhere and legged it when i went to sort it out again lol! and when i put them bk in there cage after free range play they cling to the outside bars lol
Jess x

·
Registered
38 Posts
AceYourFace said:
I know in the wild rats probably eat bugs occasionally or some sort of meat that they end up finding. Is it ok that your rat ate sausage? My mom's step bro had rats when they were young. He had one that just hung out with him all the time sat and watched tv with him. One day he ate a piece of meat and he became very aggressive and started biting. Do rats really become aggressive from meat? Yours didnt seem to have a problem?
i only gave her a little tiny piece so she wouldnt try to steal the sausage again- i took the whole sausage away from her. she didnt act any different than usual from the small piece i gave her, though.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rats are omnivorous and can/love to eat meat. be careful how much/what kind of meat they get tho, most people who do feed their rats meats choose to give them plain stuff like boiled chicked, etc. probably that ratty just got aggresive because his 'treat' was so good and he didn't want to share. :) some rats get bitey when protecting their wonderful 'treats'.

·
Registered
483 Posts
my girl Darla when she is out running aroud if I am eating something will stop at my feet and beg for food--- and then she will try to climb up me and then steal food from my plate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts