Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three rats and feel so badly that I have unintentionally picked a "favorite". I love them all for their different personalities, which is why I got them in the first place. Schofeild has always been my sweet, exploring, gentle boy. He was the rat that rushed my hand when I first put it in the cage at the pet store for rubs. His brother, Vinny, was very reserved and shy but now is almost as outgoing as Schofield. My third boy, Rome, has never been especially outgoing or been the rat to come over during free time for loves. In fact, he seems almost uncomfortable when I try to give him loves our time out of his cage.

Has anyone else picked a favorite? Should I feel badly about it? I try my best to give them all loves, but Schofield is just so easy going and kind that he is most often the one I get out to have him ride on my shoulder or for my 2 year old to hold. Part of me worries that Rome's change in behavior is duh to me not giving him an equal chance to explore.

Anyone had the same experience?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I have favourites but generally try to give everyone quality time and an equal share of treats and affections. It used to be much harder to accomplish since Bear used to aggressively lunge at us when we tried to come near him. Now he is one of my all time 'favourites' :) I find it changes for me depending on who is being the most well behaved and accepting of my love that week. I do not think there is anything wrong with that as long as everybody gets a slice of love.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Everyone has favorites. Anyone who says otherwise is lying. It might change, or it might be static, but everyone does.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's hard not to! I love all of their little quirks and personalities, but Dahlia is pretty independent right now and it's hard to get close to her. Our best times are when she sits on my shoulder and bruxes :) Delilah is a very fun rat, she loves to play and chase me and run all over. Doralita is probably my favorite, she is very shy and quiet, prefers to sit in my clothes and get her ears rubbed than to run and wrestle with the other 2. I spend time with all of them equally but it's hard not to be extra attached to the ones that just want to cuddle you all day <3

·
Registered
664 Posts
I try not to have favorites, but ended up having five of all the 15 I once had. Arrow and I bonded during her illness. I came to love her all the more for her courage, and she started breaking out of her cage just to be with me. Cookie is my special one who will only let me handle her. She and Dash always climb out to me. recently their last surviving brother, Ziggy, has started being super affectionate. He knows my footsteps and always comes to be held or just lay beside me as I set on the couch. Morsie was always so gentle, bonded more with her sisters than me but I loved her for her gentleness.

·
Registered
368 Posts
PawsandClaws: exactly what I was going to say!

But to basically reiterate what everyone else has been saying I change "favorites" hourly, daily, weekly, monthly etc. based on who is deciding to listen best at that particular time...and also whoever isn't ignoring me :p

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have bonded much more with 3 of them than the other 3. I love them all, but I am more partial to the closest bonded ones. Sully and Nugget are my heart rats. Sully being the best rat ever...:)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I have favorites in different categories. Favorite groomer, cuddler, kisser, player, behaver, etc. I've 12 and they're all my "favorite" in some form or another.

I only play favorites when it comes to heart animals. My dog is my favorite but our bond is somethin else.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm the same as all of you. My favorite changes daily, hourly, depending on who needs me the most at the time. But honestly, I've tried to give my girls equal time every night. Since I only have 4, it's not difficult to give them individual attention.

When I get home from work, I call out "Mommy's home!" And that brings them all to the front of the cage. We do what I call "lovins" where I'll open the cage door and stand in front of it and say "It's time for lovins!" They ALL get so excited and climb onto my chest and shoulders and wiggle and nuzzle and I pet and kiss all over each of them. It was easier when they were tiny babies and now that they're getting bigger, it's kinda cramped with all four of them snuggling on my chest, but they love it, and so do I! We do lovins for about 10 minutes and then I say, "Ok, let mommy go get changed." And they all go back into the cage. It's our routine and they understand it.

In the evenings, I take each girl out and spend one on one time with her for about 20-30 minutes each. After we do that, then I open up the cage for free ranging.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I always think I have a favorite, but then when it's free-range time I'm reminded that I love them all for different reasons. :) I am more bonded with some of my rats than others, but that just seems to be their personalities. It's harder to bond with a rat that doesn't want much to do with you, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts