Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have an Idea for getting a nice Pet rat.

Tell me if you think this will work.

What if I find a good litter of babies and start holding them everyday starting right before there eyes even open until they are weened.
Then when i wanna pick some out for keeps find the ones that are not afarid of me seeing as I have been holding them everyday for the last month.

Good Idea?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you can, hold them from day 1.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What if I put an old towel in the cage for them to get used to human scent really young?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep, hold them from day 1. I like to hold them 3-4 times a day for short periods (15-20 minutes) so that I don't affect their nursing. As they get older, you can hold them for longer periods, and I like to have friends hold them, too. That way they get used to multiple humans.

And I agree that the rat will pick you - in a litter, there'll usually be at least one who regularly seeks you out and is extra-playful and sociable.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mine both stood up and looked me in the eye from inside their tanks. At least it seemed that way, I know they have terrible vision.

·
Registered
997 Posts
My Acid was an instant pick, like, I can't describe how...there she was.

I had the associate open the tank(petsmart rat, please excuse that), and she leaped right out onto the girl's arm. the girl put Acid back in the tank and I was like "WAIT! I want HERRRR!" Hehe. The girl looked at me like I was insane because later she told me she bought Acid a week earlier but had to return her because she was too rambunctious??? What kinda bull was that? Haha! I love how annoyingly active she is. :3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts