Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I asked this question on an unrelated thread and it got buried.

In Matt's signature picture he's holding a rat under their arms and body dangling. Is this safe/comfortable/okay?

I'm in no way picking on Matt, I've seen a few pics like this on the internet and was wondering if it's normal?

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wouldn't deem it unsafe as long as you have a hold of the rat around their middle without applying pressure on the arms as i'd be worried that they're shoulders could possibly pop out of place. but I hold my girls this way when I'm inspecting for possible boo boo's lol.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Its safer than the tail. And its a more stern grip. I use that technique with jittery and hyper rats. Its best to support the butt and back legs when holdin that way. As long as not squeezed too much, it should be fine.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I think that's fine as long as they aren't terrified and writhing about... then they could fall and hurt themselves. Matt's rattie looks very calm. :lol:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ive have held them like that and other ways since they were little.
I did it just to make them more calm when they got older.
And it has worked so far.
They are VERY calm when I hold them like that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matt said:
.....Thanks......
Matt, what could you POSSIBLY be defensive about? :?

I made a point to make it clear that your picture made me think of it, and therefore I posted.

I even specifically said, clear as day, that I was NOT picking on you whatsoever and that I've seen many pictures of people holding them like that.

Geezz... calm yourself :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Matt, I want to introduce you to the exciting world of emoticons! :)

Would greatly help people understand your intentions :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
lol my boyfriend once suggested that i need to use emoticons when i was speaking on the internet.

i've held my rats around the shoulders but when i do it, it looks different than how matt does it :?

but, i dont think it bothers rats at all.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I have picked up rats like that, but its usually only for a few seconds until I can get another hand in to support them better. :)

To leave them dangling, no thats not good, but I am sure that was just a moment in time picture.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lilspaz68 said:
I have picked up rats like that, but its usually only for a few seconds until I can get another hand in to support them better. :)

To leave them dangling, no thats not good, but I am sure that was just a moment in time picture.
Yeah, maybe it's the "dangling" look that bothers me :p

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've held Jellybean and Coconut like that, to try to get pictures of their white tummies. I love the berks! I always kept their hind feet supported though (and never managed to get any good pics)

Just something random: since day one, whenever I see Jellybean's white tummy, I call it her Jellybelly :D

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
you probably didn't get any good pics because if they feel that they have firm footing then they feel they can just leap off whatever they are standing on. :) i dangle my ratties to get pics sometimes, but it freaks mozart out and she tries to back out of my hand. so i guess it depends on the ratty.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Double posted cause of Morgan :p**--- (and those astricks and hyphens are Hobbes input. I suppose they feel strongly on the subject)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
If I hold my rats like that for too long, they start to flail their tail around like a helicopter so i don't really do it XD I just do it when I pick them out of the cage for like a second.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah mine don't allow me to do that to them. They will pull themselves up with their arms and squirm out of my hand onto my arm. I guess they're not that comfortable with me yet.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Some rats when they trust will just dangle...the feet tucked up is also supposed to be a sign of trust in you.

My foster boys after 2 weeks with me were good danglers especially Webster...

and Charlie was soo calm while dangling

And just for you people who are shaking your head saying "Yah but those are boys..."

Here's Lucine my big blind girl :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts