Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is that a thing? I had never heard of a happy and healthy rat being picky. I have two new boy rats (fully grown, maybe 1.5 yrs old) that rarely take any food from me. Since they are new it makes me think they are scared.. but they are acting perfectly confident and happy.

I've mostly been trying various cereals and whatever I'm eating, but they just ignore it. I have no idea what their diet and treats were like before they were surrendered by their previous human.

Do you guys think they just need more time to adjust or they are just picky? They seem to be eating their regular food.. at least the poops look normal.

·
Registered
581 Posts
A trick I learned when I was trying to figure out a way for my bird to eat treats is to take whatever you would like them to eat and eat it yourself. Make as many noises of enjoyment at possible and really seem like you honestly think it's the most amazing food in the world. Offer it to them between eat bite/piece. They should be curious enough eventually to wonder why it is you like it so much. It took quite a while with my bird, but she will now take spaghetti noodles that I hand her. XD

·
Registered
106 Posts
Haha! That is the opposite of what my rats do. They are so spoiled rotten that they sometimes refuse to eat from their dish and will sit and stare at me until I hand-feed them. xD

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha yeah, my old mischief would drop anything they were doing and practically rip food out of your hands. That's why this is throwing me off! Treats are such a big part of my bonding process lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts