Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I have a rather small apartment, and a very large bean-bag type piece of furniture that is currently not being used. Instead of sticking it in a storage shed, he and a friend built something of a platform to go over the bean-bag, creating a studio on top of it for me and the rats.

Issue is, I don't know what kind of wood they used to put the platform together. My friend, Alex, said they used plywood for the top of the platform, so it's going to have at least traces of pine and cedar. Is this going to be an issue for the rats? If the platform is made out of pine, is it going to be an issue?

·
Registered
155 Posts
pine and cedar can cause URI. my rat got it. now she is on antibiotics for two weeks. i am not sure what a platform would do though. i just know bedding will do it.

*corrected my post*

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i don't think that the platform should be a problem because it's not shredded like bedding usually is, and it's the shreds and the dust that comes off them that allows the bad products from those types of woods to get in ratty lungs. and any varnish or lacquer on the wood will keep those phenols from the rats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts