Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just dawned upon me that my house is SURROUNDED with pine trees. I was wondering if that could effect a rat's health or if only using it as bedding is bad

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Might be an irritant. If you can smell the pine, it is too strong. Wouldn't worry too much if you cannot smell it yourself and nobody seems to be sneezing or acting sniffy.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the thing is both rats are sneezing and sniffing but I assume it was just from URI (have doxy) but I can't smell the pine and I don't know if it's just because I have lived here all my life and I am just use to smelling it so I don't even recognize it as pine anymore or...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
It is most likely a URI - especially if they have been living there for quite some time and the symptoms only showed up suddenly. For them to be sneezing and sniffling badly, they would have to be living on the pine or have it in fairly close proximity (right by the cage, for example.)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Something totally just occurred to me too. I use pine shavings for my mice which are housed in the same room a my rats! Is this bad?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Something totally just occurred to me too. I use pine shavings for my mice which are housed in the same room a my rats! Is this bad?
The phenols (toxic aromatic oils) in softwoods like pine and cedar are a respiratory irritant to all mammals.

Eventually, this causes liver damage, as well.

Kiln dried pine is thought to be a bit safer as some of the oils have been released, but I just play it safe and don't use it with anyone.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Yeah I know, I was trying to find the best bedding and on the mouse forum I'm on a bunch of members recommended kiln dried pine as being the best. I haven't noticed any Bad effects and I really like the pine. I hate Carefresh and aspen, but I might switch back to aspen just for the rats

1 - 11 of 11 Posts