Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried carefresh as bedding. It stunk after a few days. I just use it for the litter box now. :D crushed walnut shells (which you can find in the bird or reptile isle) is what I use now and I have heard great things about it. Including, it absorbs urine and smell very well and you only have to completely change it once a month, with daily pellet scooping and replacing damp bedding with dry. Hope I helped! :wink:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would change ANY bedding at least once a week :/ Rats spot pee and I would think crushed walnut shells would get moldy.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I used to use carefresh, never tried the pink kind.

I use towels now and change them every other day or so, but my boys are potty trained so sometimes its changed ever 2 days. Towels by far have been the best thing, for me at least, and the boys seem to enjoy burrowing in it and tossing it around.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Eh, pink fluff, I just could never get used to. I would only use the gray because I'm soo used to it. I now have a hard surface for my rats so I use it as litter box fluff. :]

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The dye is safe, as far as I know. The dyed sort and the pure white sort (the Ultra) tend to be much less dusty, so that's good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I used to use it,but clean up was harder,now I use towels/felt(He loves it!)and I love the colors=p

·
Registered
418 Posts
My sister keeps her hamster on a mixture of blue and white carefresh and I think her hamster is actually healthier now than before, simply because there is less dust. I'm thinking of buying some for Betty just for that reason!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Id expect it is safe they wouldn't use harmful chemicals on something for small animals or any animal lol so i wouldn't worry but if you are conserned use an un-dyed carefresh :D x

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Unfortunately you do have to question sometimes. They sell pine and cedar for rats, after all, and that's a huge nono.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have been interested on the colored carefresh also. I have never heard of any problems with the colored carefresh. please let me kno of any future problems as i am young and trying to learn alot. good luck -Josh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts