Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had a read through past threads, but I haven't found anything involving girls.

I have 2 girls, a year old. One of them has been leaving pink scent marks for a couple of days now. At first I thought she was on heat, but as its been a couple of days, I have booked her into the vet.

Im guessing it could be a water infection or an internal tumour? Is there anything else it could be, which is slightly less life threatening?

It only seems to be her scent markings that are pink, as her urine is usual. She is still pretty lively and inquisitive and she is eating and drinking as much as always.

I have given her some dried cranberries - is there anything else that will help?

Any help/advice? I will update after the vets

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pink urine could mean blood in the urine, so it's good you're bringing her in. 8O

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It isnt in the urine though, just the scent marks, and sometimes its practically clear, others its more reddy pink.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had Carrot to thevet again, after last time we got Baytril and Flagyl for a week and it didnt make much difference.

The vet reckons she has Pyometra (Womb infection - most common in dogs) and the best thing to do would be to spay her. But I dont know if i want to have her operated on just yet. She is about 14 months and I dont want to lose her. So we are going to try 2 weeks on a higher dosage and if there is any sign of the symptoms getting worse, we will call her in for the op.

Comments?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Personally, with a pyometra, I would operate as soon as possible... if it bursts or leaks into her abdomen, you will likely lose her very quickly to massive infection. :(

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think her age is against her survival chances?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
She's only just over a year... True, she's not a young pup anymore, but she's not ancient either. :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will call the vet about booking her in maybe next friday - then i can have the monday off work and watch her for 3 days.

I have had a 2 1/2 year old rat operated on before for a tumour, but I cant remember how long she took to recover. How long do you think it will be until she is ok to go back in with Pea?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Recovery after operations in rats can be very quick, however I wouldn't ask too much of her straight away. I'd leave it at least a week before introducing her to other rats. In big ops (like tumor removal or spaying in females) you need to take extra steps to make sure she doesn't chew her stitches. My vet gives me a small (I mean a tiny little one) dog lamp-shade collar, which I tie around their neck and leave for a week or until the edges of the wound have netted enough.

Have you completely ruled out infection though? Maybe you should leave it a while longer to check for improvement?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She has only been on these drugs for one day. I have been told to give her a higher dose this time - .05ml baytril twice a day and .35ml flagyl once a day direct (in baby mush)
I agreed with the vet that I will try her for a week and book her in at any sign of decline.
She has had the red spotting for about 6-8 weeks now and hasn't really shown any sign of decline except she is a little lazier and thinks more before she makes big jumps. The only reason I took her back to the vet is because she was getting scabs on her ears - the vet thinks this is caused by her hormones.

I will just keep a close eye on her for now

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We booked her in for tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Hormones do not cause scabbing. Ectoparasites can, unfortunately.

Scent marking is always urine, so the reddish stuff must be coming from her vagina. A lot of people will put their rats on abs for a while before the surgery just to get the infection more under control before they operate. If she does have a pyometra then she has an open one, meaning there is fluid coming out, a closed Pyo has no discharge.

good luck to her!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not sure if im meant to let her eat tonight. i figured it would be ok as she wont be operated on until around 11am so that gives her a few foodless hours to get things out of her system

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
rats have such fast metabolisms that it can actually be detrimental to them to fast them before surgery, plus they are unable to vomit which is the other fear with not fasting.

Treat your rat like normal until you take her in.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
She is fine. A little dopey. Her sister isnt interested in her today so she is getting an easy night. We have a seperate cage for her to sleep in but they are having supervised visits.

The wound looks nasty but the vet did a good job and got the stitches as far inside the wound as possible. We will see in a couple of weeks.

She has a follow up appointment thursday morning. Its cute that she is lying still for a change.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Keep an eye on those stitches - all my rats have been self-destructive pain in the eyeballs and pulled them out the first opportunity they got! (Hence why I lampshade them! LOL)

Glad to hear things went well!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well she was too out of it to care yesterday but I will see what she looks like today. I had someone check on her but there is only so much you can do when they are determined
Hopefully she will be ok and we have a post op check in the morning

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Were you given pain meds and antibiotics for her? :?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts