Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Sten Sigurdsson & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Arthur and Isabella(R.I.P Harald Fairhair)
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey so my rat Harry probably has a brain tumor. He has been losing his balance everytime he tries to eat, he can't get off and onto my bed anymore and he is running into walls. He used to be a hyper active little chaos potato but now he has become like a child or something. He never used to let me pick him up but now he just lets me. I haven't been able to take him to the vet and i won't be able to until next month because i lost my job and don't have the money this month. I don't think there is much they can do anyway other then give him a steroid. I have been giving him cream of wheat mixed with ground carrot, diced tomatoes and avocado. Any kinds of fruits or vegetables around the house i try to just throw in there . Is there any other foods i should be giving him? He still eats a little bit of his pellets but he can't finish all of it. I am so worried about my boy because if he dies he leaves his brother alone馃槶. Is he getting the proper nutrition from that porridge? I heard baby food is good for them too.

Registered
I'm sorry about Harry. Unfortunately he will just keep declining without treatment. Steroids can improve his quality of life for a little while. If you can't afford treatment I'd recommend euthanizing him when his symptoms get really bad. I just had to euthanize my rat Brisby because she had a PT also, and it got to the point where she was having too much trouble eating, constantly falling over and she got really skinny.
From what you describe with Harry, it seems like he doesn't have a lot of time left, I'm sorry. Just speaking from experience as I've had 3 rats go through PTs.
Shadow the Rat on youtube just posted a video about her rat with a PT. Lots of good info if you wanna check it out-

Registered
Sten Sigurdsson & Pilgore the Destroyer, Barney, Arthur and Isabella(R.I.P Harald Fairhair)
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't ask how. But i think i can get about $300 together so i am taking that right to the vet. If the steroid isn't very expensive then i will get it off the vet. He is losing control of his legs when he is out playing and its making me ball my eyes out. He is still eating his porridge but if i can make him live atleast a few more months then i can get a better cage by then. Then get Pilgore a friend. Because Pilgore isn't going to live long without his brother.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it's super sad to see them struggling. I cried too.
Good luck at the vet. I hope they can help.
I am still balling my eyes out. Tmrw i am calling up the vet but i doubt i will get an appointment until next week, the vet i usually go to is probably already booked up. I will be getting some baby food tmrw as well. He is still eating, i leave water out for him with his porridge and he can still get to his bottle in his cage, i saw him drink from it before. The video you showed me is exactly what Harry needs that steroid because he will feel better after getting it. Shadow the rats video said that her rat felt better within 14 hours of taking the steroid. Harry is male but like female rats he was always the really energetic one.

Registered
I feel your pain ,Steve,I have been thru this several times now and its heartbreaking to see them in that state.My last rat,Echo,was put on steroids and it gave her several months of quality life.Towards the end one of her eyes started to bulge and she ended up going peacefully in her sleep.Good Luck at the vets,I know how much your Viking boys mean to you x

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel your pain ,Steve,I have been thru this several times now and its heartbreaking to see them in that state.My last rat,Echo,was put on steroids and it gave her several months of quality life.Towards the end one of her eyes started to bulge and she ended up going peacefully in her sleep.Good Luck at the vets,I know how much your Viking boys mean to you x
I can't have Pilgore alone. So a few months will buy me time to get a really big cage. Then i can get two more friends for Pilgore to play with before he dies and i have another meltdown over him. Once he stops eating then i will have to have him put down. But i just want to make sure he has the best little ratty life he can have before he joins the other gods in Valhalla, to raid and pillage lots of beer and snacks.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The local vet that saw Harry last time has quit. So i am going to have to take him hours away to another town to an animal hospital and wait hours for someone to see him. Idk when that is going to happen either so i probably can't take him until next week. Hopefully he can last a week without it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully he can last until next week. Then i can get him into that animal hospital and give him the steroid he needs. When i got him he was about 4 months old and that was back in january.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And it is fairly rare in male rats too. So its not normal for him to get these kinds of tumors so young.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts