Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my rat (female, 20 mos old, previous mammary tumor removed) has gradually become clumsier, weaker, and less active. My wife thinks it's a pituitary gland tumor; I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with these and can describe some specific symptoms? Also, is there any direct suffering involved? And have you tried medical treatment? Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The classic symptom of a pt is lack of coordination and grip of there front paws. Try holding get up to the bars and see if she can grip then properly or give her a small treat or piece of food and see if she can hold it. If she struggles then it's probably a pt. You can get good improvements from putting them on steroids. This doesn't fix it the problem but it improves the symptoms, sometimes for months sometimes for only weeks. i tend to decide depending on how the rat is. If they were borderline in terms of quality of life before i would have then put to sleep, if they were good before then i would give steroids a go.

It could also be something like kidney or heart issues. The vet can do a simple urine dip stick check for kidneys, heart is harder. i would eliminate pt and kidneys then treat for that if it's an issue. treatment for kidneys is frusomide, a phosphate binder fed daily in food (ipaktine is good) and a kidney friendly diet (i can give you tips on that). heart is frusomide and fortkor and you should see improvements in around 3 to 4 days if it is that

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much! I'd have called it a problem with all 4 limbs, not just the front, but she is definitely less inclined to hold things. We have a vet appt for Monday--her quality of life was excellent before (and not bad now), so we'll talk to the vet about meds. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.