Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rat has a pituitary tumor. She seems to be battling it very well and she is on meds. Right now I'm wondering what decision to make with her. It's either take her to the vet for her to get on cabergoline or bromosciptine which might work and make her live for 3-6 months longer, or waiting until she passes away. My rat is 2 years old and I love her very much. However I don't want to keep her alive if this medicine is only going to reduce and not cure her current symptoms. To me it feels very selfish especially since she's already lived above the age that a rat should live, which is only a year. I've also heard that it'll just come back eventually anyway and it's already painful for me to see her like this already. I really can't bare to see her this way a second time.

If anyone has dealt with this exact problem, please let me know what you did and what you think I should do. Thanks...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My rat has a pituitary tumor. She seems to be battling it very well and she is on meds. Right now I'm wondering what decision to make with her. It's either take her to the vet for her to get on cabergoline or bromosciptine which might work and make her live for 3-6 months longer, or waiting until she passes away. My rat is 2 years old and I love her very much. However I don't want to keep her alive if this medicine is only going to reduce but not cure her tumor and symptoms. To me it feels very selfish to keep her alive in a crappy but bearable condition for my own self gain, especially since she's already lived above the age that a rat should live, which is only a year. Also her being a feeder rat, it's a surprise that she's lived past 1.5 years which is the average lifespan of a feeder rat, or so I've heard. Her symptoms will eventually worsen again with this treatment, so I'd have to go through this depressing stage twice and I'm not sure if I could handle that...

If anyone has dealt with this exact problem, please let me know what you did and what you think I should do. Thanks...

^---- updated post, kind of lame that we have a timer for this edit function.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Well my rat Monkey is 2 years old. On June the 6th I started to notice pituitary tumour symptoms. (Inability to hold food, difficulty climbing her cage). I mean it was me who basically diagnosed her. The vet said the only way to be sure is to do an MRI scan but I didn't opt for that. So she may not have had a PT.

I started her on dexamethasone injections and then continued onto oral prednisolone and cabergoline. It's now been over a month and she's very happy. I'd say her dexterity and mobility improved after a week and has remained fairly good. She still has issues climbing but she is a chubby girl.

Monkey has the additional problem of having 2 mammary tumours however (a medium/moderate sized one in her groin and one on her neck) so I guess our situations aren't completely similar.

But I would say to go for the prednisolone and cabergoline. I've enjoyed pampering Monkey for this month of extra life and I hope she's enjoyed it too. She's not so much of a cuddle lover but I think she's getting to eat whatever she pleases! Who wouldn't want that?

I can't say what the future will hold for her, I know I am only buying time.
I don't regret my decision yet and hope to God I don't come to regret it later!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
The average live span is 2-3 years, not a year. My rat had one and instead going along with surgeries and medication I just let her live out her life, the way I look at it is either force medications for the rest of their life or just let them live without forcing meds every day. Unless the tumor gets in her way then I would just let her live her life out.

My girl couldn't clean her lower parts very good towards the last month because of her tumor so I helped her with that. But I think she lived longer then she would have on medications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts