Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get some opinions here. I've taken Pippin to the vets after he was loosing weight and gradually lost most of his front end balance. Vet said more than likely a Pituitary tumour (not sure on the spelling) and gave him a Dexamethasone injection said to return in 3 days to see if there is any improvement, well this was a week ago and no improvement what so ever :( Apparently theres little chance that any other medication would help because of this.

Could anyone confirm if this information is correct? or otherwise. It was a practice I've never used and they did say they weren't overly familiar with rats but have successfully treated before.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Unfortunatly if a PT doesnt respond to Dex its about as powerful as it comes. As a long shot you could ask for a course of predinose (another type of steroid), it does tend to help PT's in the long term, but normally you would pair it with a shot of Dex. From my experience if its going to improve it does within those few days. If not i would pretty much always have the rat put to sleep. I do tend to put to sleep earlier than most, but having had a few rats in the past with PT's that i held back on (and the rat clearly suffered for it) i tend to put to sleep earlier rather than too late. Recently this was really reinforced. Id found one of my lads with a PT early on and decided with his age and general quality of life (he was borderline before he started with the PT symptoms) to PTS even before trying dex, a friends boy was diagnosed at roughly the same time and she decided to go with the steroids and give him a few more weeks. A few days later he fitted badly for several hours before she could get him to the vet to be put to sleep. Speaking to my vet he says that this is fairly common in rats with neuro issues, useually quicker so you dont notice them or less violent so they seem starey and vacant. Its definitly made me more comfortable with giving up earlier than most.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts