Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i finally went to target and got some plastic placemats to use in my cage, instead of fleece. i thought it would be much easier to clean and maintain. anyway, my two guys are TERRIFIED of stepping on it. it's the strangest thing i have ever witnessed. as soon as i set them down on it they either run back onto my hands soooo fast, or leap to the sides of the cage and get into a hammock. why do you think they are so afraid? should i just leave the placemats there for the night and let them tough it out and get over it?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't know about rats specifically, but all animals can have issues with unfamiliar surfaces. Our dog refused to walk on our hardwoods after we took up the carpet. He had never been on hardwood so the new sound and texture, as well as it being more slick than he was accustomed to, forced him to get very creative about how he got from place to place. It took about a month to get used to the new flooring then he was fine again. I would assume rats have similar issues. Having said that I'd say that if they don't like it and it isn't that much of a pain I would just return to fabric. No point in causeing them undue stress.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've used placemats in my cages before, and they were never really a hit. I also don't like how they don't absorb urine the same as fleece, and they're harder to keep clean. But mine still pee everywhere, so if you have properly littertrained rats it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I just use bedding, It is easier I think. I just change my rats cage once a week, then again I only have one rat. Still, I think you should try to get your rats used to the placemats for 3 weeks or so to try it out. If it is easier don't switch back to fleece. If it is harder after a while just switch back to fleece.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts