Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly free range my mischief in the bathroom and I want them to have more free range time but I can't always have them in there do to people needing to use the bathroom and I get scared one will run out the door. And my room is to big to completely rat proof it so I was thinking of getting a play pen? But I would need It to have a top on it because I wouldn't want them to climb out... Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm pondering building a playpen that comes apart. Two 5'x2' and two 3'x2' hardboard 1/8" or 3/16" that interlock at the corners and then a 3'x5' piece of linoleum to catch any rat leavings. I would then be able to pull them apart and stash them behind the fridge. I live in 720 sq ft, so space is really at a premium for me.

For now, I have a cardboard box that is 20" square. It's not huge, but it's more room than my starter cage. My rats don't know how to use the wheel, so I'll let them exercise in there. I don't think they like it very much. They're always checking the walls for escape opportunities. When I put my hand down into the box, both rats quickly scramble up my arm. One of them tries to leap. It's a good thing I taped the box flaps up. It changes the box height from 13" to 24". The rat cleared the crease, so she easily would have gotten up top if I didn't tape it up.

Then I need to find some toys to put in there. Unless I want to construct a lid for my box, I'll have to be careful about climbing toys that get rats within jumping distance of the top of the walls. I'll probably get some PVC pipes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts