Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two female rats, Kane was born in June, and Kuma was born in November. I got Kuma like a month or two ago.
She is impossible.

I don't know what to do with her. She wants to Play play play play and.. play!
She bounces off the walls of their cage, I play with her inside the cage with my hand. But she always veers off and flies into a not amused Kane lol.
She would much rather play with Kane. I bought a bunch of toys and such but no takers.

Kane would much rather - nap, sit and stare, move litter around, wash, drink / eat, and stash food.

Kane will play with Kuma at night time some, but it sounds so loud and scary, I'm always jumping out of bed to see if they are fighting or playing.. they always stop what they are doing, so its hard to tell. They never really fight though. Kane will be short with Kuma a lot and pin her down until she cries "uncle". My fiance is always yelling at me saying Kuma must be getting hurt and I need to get out of bed and stop the 'fighting'.

I've realized Kuma is a crybaby. She will squeak when Kane shoves her or pins her. She even squeaked at me, when she was squirming while I was holding her outside the cage and I wouldn't let her go lol.

When I try to hold Kuma, she squirms.. relentlessly. Forwards, backwards, all ways. I vigilantly held her until she stopped squirming.. a very long time.. then I let her go when she stopped. Maybe that will teach her?
I let her go to my shoulder, but she just tries to reach out and jump off to anywhere that looks close by.

I laid down on my bed with Kuma, Kane always finds somewhere comfy on me and sits still, but Kuma darts all over - she even almost jumped right off the bed a few times! She runs around and then runs back to me and tries to climb over me to get lost in the pillows or try to go off the bed. I'm afraid of her falling, my bed is low to the ground but still. Its hard to keep up with her, I'm afraid of her jumping down and darting away, hiding under some furniture or squeezing under my bedroom door and be lost in the house. I don't know if she would fit, but rats fit a lot of impossible places.

She is just unstoppable, I love her to pieces though lol.
I don't know how to spend time with her if she darts around super fast in random directions without warning. I can't even hold her.. she wants to go go go go! I play with her in the cage, but that just gets her all worked up and she turns her energy towards Kane who seems to be annoyed.

Kuma will 'groom' us and has given a few kisses, she has been handled since the day she was born. Its almost like shes too comfortable with people. Doesn't give us a second thought and pulls daredevil stunts.

I now truly know the meaning of "zooming fuzlet".
Is this just a phase?
Any ideas or insight??

·
Registered
500 Posts
Re: Playful Daredevil, can't handle the little firecrac

I wouldn't be too concerned. :) Some of my girls were born at the end of September, and 2 of them act very similar to Kuma, although they have calmed down a lot in the past month. Just remember, she's still quite young, she is a female, and that really could just be part of her personality. Some rats are laid back, and some are more active.

As far as spending time with her, maybe try hanging out in the bathroom with her (it's usually a fairly "ratproof" place) with some treats, just one on one. That way you don't have to worry as much about her leaping off beds, shoulders, etc. :D Just sit on the floor and let her come to you. LoL, this may take time, though...

I wouldn't be really concerned about the "fighting" between the two girls either, unless they're leaving cuts on one another. Have you seen any wounds?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Nope, no cuts.. just kinda like Kane is putting Kuma in her place or something.

·
Registered
879 Posts

Hahaha that sounds like my Lilly she is a little too adventurous for her own good. I usually have to cut play time with her a lil short because she tries to get into things she shouldn't. And Luna is the one that just wants to sleep and eat and rearrange haha. How funny.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Leaf is just like that! Rem is the lazy sleep-all-day-and-stash-food rat and Leaf is the never-stops-except-when-I'm-dead-tired rat. I out them on my computer desk all the time and it doesn't take Rem long to find a place to curl into a ball and sleep while Leaf tried to get on my printer, on the other side of a flag I've got hanging off my bed (a loft bed thing, and there's a no-rats-allowed shelf on the other side). She's fallen off the desk a few times, but I've got enough stuff beneath it that she only goes abot a foot.
Oh, and they do the noisy fighting too, and Leaf will squeak whenever Rem grooms her 0_o

·
Registered
130 Posts

Let them settle it out, I guess... Also, try bonding with Kuma a little bit. Maybe that will calm her down. Like, let her lick yogurt or baby food off of your fingers. That will teach her to trust you. :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I have been letting Kuma run around on / near me on the bed. My fiance is very neurotic about the rats having accidents on the bed lol. But, Kuma was going near and on him and checking out his laptop an stuff, and then getin spooked and running right back to me! Its cute, I guess I am her safety spot. I feel bad for my fiance, he adores her but she always runs away to me easily. Shes just getting to know him I guess. So shes shy with new people? I know Kane will climbed from my shoulder onto anyone else's to say 'hi' lol.

Ya, I jumped out of bed last night a couple times.. Instead of the usual 'Chirp' squeeks Kuma does, she actually made a "Scree" noise twice.. but I jumped over to their cage and they were just sitting next to each other, perfectly fine, blinking at me as if to innocently say 'what?'. I'm not sure.. but maybe they are just roughhousing or something and Kuma is so verbal?

Kuma huffed and 'chirped' at me a bunch more times when I was holding her and her squirming got her nowhere.. its kinda cute, her little frustrated expression. It made me laugh really hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts