Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my parents agreed to let me keep my rats in my room for the first few weeks so that I can get them used to me quicker and today I had their cage open and was trying to coax the mellower of the two out. She has leaning out of the door and I was trying to encourage her to climb out with some bits of treats and such. Eventually I gave up and just started petting her from inside the cage. After a while she darted away from the door, through her little hidey hole, and back to the door, leaning out like she was before. I continued to pet her and she did it again. She never made any sounds or bit me or anything, just checked my hands for treats. My older brother has ferrets and they do similar things when they want to play but since I havnt been around rats much I don't know exactly what it meant. Was she wanting to play or wanting me to leave her alone? Shes usually pretty sweet when I have her outside of her cage (licking my hands, perching on my shoulder, bruxing when I pet her etc.) But I don't want to assume anything.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
That is play behavior you are describing. Totally normal for many rats :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Yeah, it's like a game to them. They'll dart away and then come back--possibly from around a different corner. Their view of the world is different from yours, so it might not look like a huge change in perspective, but it really would be. I like to cup my hand around their rump and ruffle it. That seems to excite them. You can also gently ruffle their head. My wife likes to put her fingertips on both flanks and tickle their sides.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright awesome. This morning she wanted to play again so I tickled her and 'chased' her with my hand and she play nipped me a little and seemed to love it. Its crazy to me how quickly they're starting to like me, I've only had them two days now.

·
Registered
870 Posts
This reminds me of a conversation I had with my sister. "I don't know whether my rats like to be tickled. I tickle them and they run away, but then they come back to me." "Gee, Bobbi, I don't know. Do your grandkids like to be tickled?" "Well, yes." "And what do they do when you tickle them?" "Ummm, well they run away, but they come right back to be tickled again... Ohhhh."

It also reminds me of a game my rats created around a musical toy I got them. I put the toy in the cage and several hours later I heard one of the rats activate the music, and immediately dash to the bottom of the cage. I worried that the toy scared him, so I went to remove it. The rats were lined up the ladder to jump on the button, start the music, then dash to the bottom of the cage just to get back in the line again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts