Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If the rats indicate that they might like to go "home," instead of staying out for their complete, allotted playtime, should I take them "home," or is it necessary to their health and happiness that they get at least an hour of playtime a day? (Sometimes, Gus will go up to his drawer, make a "bed," get comfortable, and sleep/rest in there. He'd probably be more comfy in one of his hammocks.)

Also...

If they would prefer not to come out and play in the first place, should I "insist," or should I let them make the call?

Buscemi has a lot of energy - although he likes a good pet when he is sleepy - but Gus is turning into a lazy, squishy adult. If he wants to go home, I have a tendency to think I should let him...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my girls climb on me when they've had enough. if 3 or more climb on at once, then they all go back to the cage. if 1 or 2 climb on, then they sleep on me until the others are ready.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I let my rats decide for themselves whether they want to come out at all. They know that when I open the door and ask if they want to come out and play, if they don't want to, I don't force them. There are days when some of my girls seem happier to stay in their cage - which I completely understand. Sometimes I'd rather stay home than go out too! ^_^ Although all of them nap during their free time, for mine that's not a sign they've had enough. They're always very happy to wake up and be able to run around and play with each other and me ^_^

I don't think it's necessary to make your rats come out and stay out for the entire allotted time, unless they're being socialized.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks; yeah, I was thinking along those lines, too. I LOVE to go out and do things, but sometimes, I just wanna stay in bed and relax. I think we ~all~ love our beds! :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I, too, let my rats decide if they want to come out. Most of them do have rat naps while out but run around and play after their naps.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Out time gives the rats a chance to explore, play, exercise and interact with their humans.
Some rats do have their off days but some need over 30 minutes to decide if they feel like coming out. If you always close off the cage when it looks like they don't want out time, then they will be missing out on this very important activity. Out times give them physical and mental stimulation which is very important to their health.
I've noticed with my rats, if their out time doesn't include access to their cage, then they are pretty nervous and always want to end their out time early. But if they have full access to the cage to run in and out, then they stay out a long time. My rats without cage for out time are ready to go home after only 20 to 30 minutes which in my opinion is not long enough but my rats that have out time with access to the cage could stay out all day long.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much about the "access to the cage" information. In this case, their "home" is huge, and on a big stand, which would be hard to move into the playroom. Do you think that it would work if I moved a smaller, "travel cage" in there with them? It has food, water, and a hammock, in case anyone wants to feel at home during playtime.

I truly appreciate the advice! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts