Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my boy Potato was squeaking last night every time you touched his rump area. Tonight he seems to be squeaking with every movement he makes himself. At first I thought maybe he fell in his cage and has a nasty bruise, but now I'm not so sure. He isn't lethargic or anything, he wants to run and play, but he squeaks every time he tries climbing something or moves a certain way.

I have no idea what it could be. Please help. What could be wrong?

I hate seeing my baby in pain. What can I do to comfort him?

*Update*
He just strolled by me bruexing. This can't be that serious, right? Still concerned....

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
You can try gently touching him to try and locate what hurts, which might give us some idea of what's wrong. You might also try and gently look under his fur for cuts, bruises, lumps or whatever...

We've had a lot of rat injuries and the only thing I can say is that rats heal amazingly fast... that said, when they don't it's usually a serious problem and a vet visit might be in order so if he doesn't get better in a couple of days or rather starts looking worse, it's likely something to worry about.

·
Registered
994 Posts
One of my rats had very similiar symptoms to what you described, the pain was around her rump area and if the tail moved a certain way, usually by trying to climb something, she would squeal. According to the vet she sprained the muscles at the base of the tail, probably from falling. The pain went away after four days but her tail is permanently crooked.

·
Registered
46 Posts
IT doesn't sound too serious. If you havw a multilevel cage, put him on the bottom and block off the rest. Leave your other rats in the top part (you have mor ethen one, right? If not explain.) Put water, food, and some stuff to sleep in play in down there, and leave him alone until he stops, or gets worse. If it gets worse, go to the vet. Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts