Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I haven't spent as much attention on Loki as I used to partially because I got my own dog for my birthday and my parent recently acquired two german shepard puppies that require a LOT of time. Well I noticed today when I went to feed them that he wasn't rushing over to the food like he usually does and then it struck me that he's been not rushing to the food for a little while now. I can't say exactly when it started though. Anyway I picked him up to say hello and pet him and all and he's REALLY skinny I mean we're talking about a BIG rat and I don't just mean fat I mean just a large sized rat so for me to pick him up and be able to feel his rib cage and spine is horrifying. I took him to my mom so she could look and of course all she did was tell me it's my fault and not really care at all cause she hates the world. I noticed as I was talking to her that Loki was moving his head in and out like he was gaging or choking so I immediately took him back to his cage so he could work it out. Then I noticed his eye. his right eye looks just fine but his left is greyish looking with a brown spot on it like something is stuck on his eyeball but he doesn't act like there's anything on his eyeball. I tried to get it out but I didn't want to scratch his eye. So I did what any young adult mother would do and began to search the internet for help. I found nothing so I am now turning to you guys once again for help because you are my only option. I'm very scared and worried for Loki. He's my boy and he's lost so much weight he's like a fraction of the rat he used to be in every way. Is this just aging or is thing something more? Also his cage mate Thor looks totally fine I checked him over. Please help me?!?!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A respiratory infection can do all of that? I can but I'm not entirely sure I trust him anymore since he tried to tell me that rats are just rats and they aren't social and can totally live alone happily and should. and I don't have hundreds of dollars but if it saves his life i'll do everything I can to help him he's my baby boy

·
Registered
664 Posts
The weight loss and choking u described matched. The brownish spot could be porphorine, a sign of respiratory distress. Another possible diagnosis would be lung tumors. Either way he definately needs to be seen. i can tell u feel guilty, but these are common problems for rats unfortunately. Very sad and very hard, but not your fault. To help him gain weight, try baby food mixed with powdered baby formula. Almond milk is very good for weight too. A respiratory infection can be controlled with meds. Turkey tail mushrooms, wheatgrass powder, and apricots help with tumors. raw honey helps breathing.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sounds like he's suffering A. from a URI or B. from a secondary infection caused by a myco flare up (the white on his eye could be an infection). You need to get him on antibiotics asap or you will likely lose your rat. Even if it's not an infection, it is definitely something that needs to be treated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I don't want to upset you more, but I've seen exactly what you're going through with Arrow. I got her on meds, but she was never well again and lived only a few months after it started. The choking attacks are what clued me in for sure. Meds kept her comfortable and bought her more time. If the damage to the lungs is not too great Loki may have a better chance, but will likely always need meds. How soon can u get him in? I would try raw honey and steam in the meantime, but deffo get him in.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I should add that on top of that, you need to get him eating asap whether you can find something he'll eat on his own or you have to force feed him. Him not eating isn't doing him any favors. Make sure he's drinking too.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do feel really guilty. I've been so busy and preoccupied these past few weeks and when my baby needed me I didn't even notice. I let him down. I should have paid more attention to him. Wow thank you so much all of that is very helpful and I will definitely try and use that stuff! I feel evenworsefor asking but unfortunately I can't poop out money and vets require money for their help so do you have any idea what stuff like that and it's treatment cost. I only have a part time job cause I'm going to school right now

·
Registered
664 Posts
I'd try an eyedropper with baby formula, almond milk, or baby food. Obviously be very careful not to choke him. Vet visit will cost u about 60-80, meds about 40. Should be a combo of baytril and doxycycline. meloxicam will keep the lung inflamation down. but know that he'll likely need meds for the rest of his life. Sadly rats's just don't fully recover from URIs

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay I can swing that just fine then as long as we're not looking at 400+ I should be good but it will probably be monday before i can get him in

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It's not fun or pretty, but get a syringe and either some baby food or kibble that you've added water to to turn it into a mash. He won't like it, but once the food is in his mouth he'll swallow it. If you can get your hands on some infant soy formula that'd be good too, I've never met a rat who doesn't love it (sick or not, it's the only thing my girl would eat while she was sick) so you probably wouldn't have to force feed. That would ensure he's getting some liquids too. You really really need to watch his hydration because even if the illness is curable, dehydration could take him out regardless.

·
Registered
664 Posts
shouldn't run that much. I'll keep him in my prayers. If u have a chest X ray it could be like 80 more, but will tell u for sure if it's a URI or lung tumors. Mine kept getting the same thing, all dying of breathing problems yet it wasn't through exposure. Then tumors started appearing in some of them, and I was able to have them successfully removed. Then Dash got a tumor on her side, and was too thin and breathing too hard for surgery. They X- rayed her chest and found tumors in her lungs. Likely that was what really killed the others I lost, because the meds had no effect. if it is a true URI the meds will bring relief.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have dog kibble is that okay? I got some water in him! But he won't eat. I have 2 kinds puppy kibble for large breeds and my dogs' food which is adult dog kibble. which should I give him? We don't have any baby food. Thank you guys so much for helping and thank you for the prayers we'll need them for sure.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Whatever he'll eat, you can start small and make more if necessary. If he seems interested in the mashed up stuff, leave some dry pieces in the cage too. A change of food might be enough to get him eating a bit.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He ate it! I didn't even have to syringe him! He ate the mush out of my hands all on his own c:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts