Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two females. One I have had for over a year and the other I just got about a month ago. I already quarantined her and I have tried introducing them and it seems to go well for a little while. Then my older girl always hops on the younger one and the younger one squeaks very loudly. I am always near by with a glove and I separate them immediately. The younger one never has a wound or any bite marks on her so I think this is just the older one showing her dominance. Unfortunately I apparently do not have the will to let them work it out or let her stay on top of her because I get scared when I hear the squeaks and I can't not grab them. It is just my instinct. Does anyone have any advice? I'm honestly at the point where I just want someone else to introduce them because I am a scaredy cat. I just don't want them getting hurt in case she is being aggressive. Thanks!

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think it would be better if you were the one to introduce them because they both know you and are probably more comfortable with you there than you think. If no blood is being drawn and no scratches are piercing the skin, etc. Then let them "figure out" who be the dominant and who will be the submissive. I know it can be hard when you hear the little one squeaking and squealing, but ultimately there are differences between squeaks like that and squeaks that mean pain/trouble. My girl Ollie used to talk and squeak all the time. She was a chatter box. And ALWAYS let out squeaks and squeals when Louise would pounce on her and groom her. She still does from time to time, but I know the difference between her being talky and her being scared or in pain. It might be hard to let it go, but just let it go and if you see blood THEN split them up. If theres no blood or serious biting/scratching, it will be okay! I promise! Try again, be strong and let us know what happens!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I know how you feel! I have had two boys for several months. Now I got a little girl about a month ago who was only 5 weeks old and added her to the mix and the intros went perfectly. they knew she was a baby and that they had to tolerate her. She would jump all over them constantly to play and just be an annoying little hyper baby but they never messed with her back. But now I'm noticing that my dominant boy is pinning her constantly every chance he gets and power grooming her and she squeaks bloody murder but never fights back. I think she knows she's a tiny baby in comparison and wouldn't stand a chance in a fight. Plus she doesn't have a dominant personality. She just wants to play. Idk if he feels threatened now that she's getting bigger or why he would all of a sudden decide to assert his dominance after a month of living with her but I have trouble watching it. i hear her squeak and I want to break up the fight instantly even though I know he isn't hurting her and I should let them work it out. it's so hard tho to watch her get bullied and hear the squeaking! I don't physically break up the fight but i do often vocally try to distract them from what they are doing and maybe get them to forget what they are doing lol.

It doesn't sound like your girls are being truly aggressive though which is a good sign. It sounds like healthy dominance fights, which is for sure going to happen in every pack. There's no avoiding it because they have to establish somebody as the dominant one. Unfortunately they can't just share equal partnership...darn lol. I do understand how hard it is to watch, and unfortunately you do need to watch and make sure that it is not turning into a real fight and there is no blood, otherwise I would've just said to not watch at all. But the more you break up the fights, the longer it is going to take them to work out their dominance situations so if you just let them do it, then they can get it over with quicker and hopefully their dominance fights will be few and far between. Most rats do this occasionally during play time just for fun but it's different and involves less squeaking lol. Just hang in there and keep in mind that if you just let them do it, it will be over soon and you won't have to deal with it anymore. It doesn't take that long to establish who is the dominant one. And if it goes on for a really long time and you just can't take it anymore than go ahead and break it up. But hold off as much as you can and just focus on keeping everyone safe and having a good relationship with the 3 of you. Enjoy! It's so much fun having multiple babies!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both so much! I decided to just man up and let it happen haha and now of course it isn't. Things aren't perfect between them and I am not putting them in the same cage yet but they aren't fighting at all. It will probably happen soon though. Bella, the bigger girl, just grooms Lola, the smaller girl, freezes every time Bella comes near her so I know she is expecting it and so am I haha. Lola is definitely ready to be submissive which is good because there shouldn't be any issue deciding who is dominant. And I definitely learned she is just a cry baby because she squeaked like crazy when I tried to give her a bath, much worse than when Bella was on her. Ill let you both know how it goes once they eventually work it out.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
tri putting then in a small carrier together. That will get over the defensive behaviour very quickly and will also minimise the chance for any injuries. I'd leave them in there for at least a few hours and then move them into the smaller of their two cages emptied out of anything aside from 2 water bowls or bottles and don't split them up again unless serious fighting or injury occurs. By splitting then up again and again you keep then at an elevated stress level for much longer. It's generally kinder abd easier to go for a carrier style intro. There's a guide to this stickied of it helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay new question!

My girls seem to be getting together well during intros now. They groom each other often but both kind of freeze when they are face to face so there is some tension. But the newest thing is that Lola, the new and young girl, puts herself under Bella constantly. Bella can't walk because Lola is sticking her head and whole body under her with every step. Is this just her showing she is submissive?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts