Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I will be bringing home two girls soon, I need to prepare a home for them beforehand. Luckily, I have a lot of options-- I just don't know which one to settle them in.
These are my options:
a) Large Tank - 36x17x18 in
b) Converted Bird Cage - 24x18x18 in
c) Wooden Converted Doll House - 4 levels, each level measuring 26x12, w/ 12 in height.

Please help!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I would go with the bird cage. Although even that isn't ideal. It is barely enough space for the two rats, but is certainly better than the other options. The tank will not provide enough ventilation in will aid in giving them a respiratory infection and the wooden dollhouse will be peed on (Which will soak into the wood) or they could chew through it and escape.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
None of these options are suitable. Tanks shouldn't be used, the bird cage is too small, and the doll house will get ruined with urine quickly.

It's best to invest in a good rat cage right off the bat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. But I checked cage calculators and they say the cage is large enough to hold two...? And also, I think I've decided I will use the doll house as a day cage or play ground once they are litter-trained... Good idea?

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Cage calculators are woefully inaccurate, sadly. Rats need a lot of room.

·
Registered
158 Posts
The dollhouse is made of wood, so it is quickly going to be ruined with urine/feces. Even after you clean it, it will smell pretty horribly, and the ammonia build up will damage your rats delicate respiratory system. If they are babies you could keep them in the cage for maybe a week, but you would need to upgrade quickly.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it's the expense you're worried about, then either hold off on getting rats until you can afford a suitable cage, or search online for second hand rat cages. Lots of space is a requirement for rats, it's not optional.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Also keep in mind that rats are expensive pets. The cage is only the beginning. If a suitable cage isn't in the budget, will you be prepared when your rats inevitably contract a UTI and have to visit the vet for an exam and prescription drugs? How about a tumor that will need removed?

If you don't have a monthly budget set up already, think about starting one and figuring out how to save money each month for a rat fund. It will be needed!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts