Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to save my littles boys dad. :cry: . He has red stuff all around his nose and eyes and he isnt walking at all. hes just laying there but he is still breathing. i have been giving him water and petting him and he seems to be getting a little better but it still isnt a good situation.

Please Please Please help me here. What can I do?!?!? :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Please Help Me....

oh, and he looks like he hasnt eaten for a while. (hes skinny)
but his belly has gotten bigger from all the water.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Your rat needs a vet desperately even if only to determine that he is too ill and to end his suffering.

Their bellies don't swell from water, they do swell from internal masses, etc. :( The porphryin meant that he was very sick and his not moving is a terrible sign. We can hope for a stroke but I sadly will bet that your rat is gone by the time you read this. :(

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hes survived over night and is still breathing now. I just checked on him and he cant stand up or walk. last night i moved him in his own cage and he has just been laying there since. also, i have been giving him water but i have to just put the bottle near his face. he is also blind in one eye now...(it is faded out like it would be if he was blind) and there is red stuff all over that eye.

I am thinking that it will be better just to let him go and put him to sleep. :cry:
What do you think? :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lilspaz68 said:
Your rat needs a vet desperately even if only to determine that he is too ill and to end his suffering.
They wont take him in today because they are closed.

and I am not gonna take him there just for them to put him to sleep when i have the same exact stuff they have to euthanize if needed.

i know i should take him there to c wats wrong but no meds are gonna fix this.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you don't know what's wrong, how do you know no meds will fix it?

Talk to your parents about taking him to an e-vet.

Last thing they want is something catching going about.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
You are not a vet. I have had some horribly sick rats that got better with meds when I was positive they were dying. A stroke can be treated with abs and steroids and the rat can bounce back within 24-48 hours...

And Matt you just said something you shouldn't have. You home euth. :(
You're done in my books.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know i should take him to a vet but he is... hes almost gone :cry:
and there isnt a vet that will take him. i called even e-vets around here and none will take.

·
Registered
64 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
You're done in my books.

<.< Ummm, sometimes home euthanization is the best way, for both the person and the rat. And I am talking about HUMANE euthanization. Theres a type of gas that is attainable and it just makes them fall asleep, plus its painless. I do know many vets that euthanize a rat by injecting the stuff into its heart, and that is in no way humane. So if he means home euthanization by the gas, I dont see why there is any reason to put a strike against him. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
savveth said:
lilspaz68 said:
You're done in my books.

<.< Ummm, sometimes home euthanization is the best way, for both the person and the rat. And I am talking about HUMANE euthanization. Theres a type of gas that is attainable and it just makes them fall asleep, plus its painless. I do know many vets that euthanize a rat by injecting the stuff into its heart, and that is in no way humane. So if he means home euthanization by the gas, I dont see why there is any reason to put a strike against him. Just my opinion though.
Thanks Savveth, and it is Co2. The vet Near me (i just found this out today) uses the stuff that gets injected into the heart and blocks there system up and kills them. I wasnt going to pay for them to painfully put him down.

but he just passed on his own when i was giving him some water.

before he died i held him and we were just staring at each other for a little while.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Your welcome. Im sorry about him, though. It was just his time to go. *hugs*

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You gas them with CO2?

:(

Ever stuck your head in a barrel with dry ice in it?

You won't do it twice.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
He home euthanises because his family breeds and sells snakes and breeds rats as snakefood :/ This dad was a feeder breeder not a pet. Not that I feel it justifies the means there at all but it is better than live feeding.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts