Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I'm a new member and I'm not supposed to make non introductory posts but I don't know where else to turn.

My rat Winky is really sick and I don't know what to do. I know you're going to suggest taking her to the vet but I can't drive and there aren't any decent vets within walking distances and no one will be home to drive me for two hours. I don't know what to do and it's breaking my heart. When I was going to the rats today to clean out the cage I saw a sudden movement and could see Myrtle twitching on the floor. Soon it stopped and she was just lying there, staring off into space. I patted her and soon she seemed a little better so I picked her up and took her out so I could observe her. She's lying listlessly on my lap the only sign she isn't dead is her rapid breathing. Twice she's had another attack, twitching around on my lap nearly falling off. A few times she's gotten up and had all this crazy energy, trying to run down my legs or climb up my body even though she doesn't seem to have the coordination. I don't want to put her back into a cage because if she gets active again she might try to climb and fall or something. I can't bear to see her like this is there anything at all I can do to help her? Would putting her with her sister help keep her comfortable or is it better to keep her with me, alone? I feel absolutely awful because I've been so busy with exams for the past month and I haven't been able to do more than a quick check on my girls and I should have paid more attention to them and I might have been able to stop this before it got so far.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds like she might be having seizures. They could be caused by the environment (bright/flashy lights, loud noises, etc..) or some sort of underlying illness. Is this the first time she's had one of these fits? If you could catch one on video that would be great. What is she doing now?

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, pretty much exactly like that. The environment hasn't changed so I doubt its environmental, plus her sister is fine. I'm pretty sure it's the first time but like i said i haven't been able to keep as close an eye on them lately. She does appear to have a bit of a head tilt when she's more active. She's still just lying there. There was a moment when she was acting a little more normal, yawning, snuggling into my jumper and her eyes aren't staring off into space anymore. She looks like shes sleeping normally now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had to move her a little because she was nearly falling off my lap and she was very limp when it came to moving her. Now she's just staring again. She's barely moved from the position I put her in, like she hasn't curled up again or anything like that, she's still in the same position.

·
Registered
664 Posts
How long has the head tilt been prevalent? It could be caused by an ear infection, a pituitary tumor, a previous stroke or any number of things. An advanced head tilt can cause balance problems (falling and circling).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe a week or so. Exams have kept me from taking her to the vet about it, she hasn't shown any signs of pain and has still been eating and energetic until today. She hasn't been noticeably off balance until today. She had another seizure.I managed to video half of it, what do I need to do to put the video on here?

·
Registered
664 Posts
You can upload it to youtube or some other site and post the link here.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Definitely looks like a seizure. Poor baby. I would just try to get her to a vet whenever you can. There's not much you can do at home. How old is she?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.