Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got an albino mouse last week. her name is daffodil and i love her to death, but the problem is, is that she keeps escaping from her cage a lot, especially at night. does anyone know what to do in order to fix that? i really don’t have the money right now to purchase a new cage, but if i must, could someone inform me on what kind of cage i should get? i currently have a horizontal crossbar cage for her.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i just got an albino mouse last week. her name is daffodil and i love her to death, but the problem is, is that she keeps escaping from her cage a lot, especially at night. does anyone know what to do in order to fix that? i really don’t have the money right now to purchase a new cage, but if i must, could someone inform me on what kind of cage i should get? i currently have a horizontal crossbar cage for her.
Do u mean your rat ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
ok
#1 Angels with Whiskers STOP BEING MEAN
#2 if they keep escaping its time for a new cage bird cages are the best for rats/mice so dont worry put them in a landery tub ( with holes on the side for breathing and a lid so they dont jump out) while you prepare a bird cage i love rats so i got 19 in one bird cage
#BEST IDEA

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
218 Posts
@nightRAT Please don’t accuse others of being mean. Yes, it might’ve been a little rude, but it’s also rude when in bold and all caps you say “STOP BEING MEAN”. This is not the accuse and blame forum, so please keep any accusations (no matter how true they are) to yourself! ☺

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
659 Posts
#1 @Angels with Whiskers STOP BEING MEAN
First of all, rude! They sound like they were just trying to help.

#2 if they keep escaping its time for a new cage bird cages are the best for rats/mice so dont worry put them in a landery tub ( with holes on the side for breathing and a lid so they dont jump out) while you prepare a bird cage
Second of all a birdcage, although sometimes suitable for rats, is in no way suitable for mice. They need at least a 1' x 2' area with 10+ inches of bedding and birdcages can not provide this. 40 gal tanks and DIY cages work best. here is a tutorial on how to make one [Diy Ikea Linnmon Hamster/Mouse Cage]

i love rats so i got 19 in one bird cage
Third of all, Where the **** did you find a birdcage that had 38 cubic feet because if you have 19 rats (way too many for one cage in my opinion) they each need 2 cubic feet of space and (going back to school) 19x2=38. (I'm actually interested tho)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is she squeezing through the bars, or getting the door open? How far apart are the bars?

My old hamster was nicknamed Houdini. I had to secure the door with a clip; he would climb up the door and ride it down as it fell open. There was a small upper area with a plastic lid that I had to tape down so he wouldn't push it up and open.

A later hammy, a dwarf hamster, squeezed through the bars and disappeared. Mice need 1/4 inch so they can't fit through, but hamster cages tend to have 1/2 inch bars.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
Hello also I would advice always having some money spare for emergencies.
Too many people buy pets then cant afford to look after them or they get sick and they cant afford the vet so the animal suffers or they end up abandoning it.
Sorry if this seems rude but it has to be said.

I'd recommend some chicken wire/hardware cloth if you want to stop them escaping, or a temporary bin cage as suggested is a good shout.

I dont know anything about mice really - try this website!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just so you know, mice can fit through holes the size of pencils. Sooooo... It is kind of hard to find a good cage for them. That is why I like rats.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A couple other people have mentioned this, but bin cages are a good idea. They can be pretty cheap(compared to store bought wire cages), although they do require some assembly. This is a good video.
Most mice will need 1/4 inch wire spacing, which is pretty easy to accomplish with a bin cage because all you have to do is use 1/4" hardware cloth.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
That sounds like a bit of a squeeze, what cage are you using? Even a DCN should only house about 12 rats. (and less in my opinion)
I missed this!
19!!! in ONE cage???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Oh no, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to sound mean, I just wanted to tell them that they would get more advice on a mouse forum. I'm sorry
Its ok beside this used to be for both rats and mice it used to be called rodent form awile back but i dident mean to get ad its just i get realy sad when someone is being corectid

·
Registered
33 Posts
Its ok beside this used to be for both rats and mice it used to be called rodent form awile back but i dident mean to get ad its just i get realy sad when someone is being corectid
onistly its is the best if you get one thats huge my rats havent even explored all of the cage yet

·
Registered
33 Posts
@nightRAT Please don’t accuse others of being mean. Yes, it might’ve been a little rude, but it’s also rude when in bold and all caps you say “STOP BEING MEAN”. This is not the accuse and blame forum, so please keep any accusations (no matter how true they are) to yourself! ☺

Again i say im sorry im jut very sensitive ok very sensitive for others is VERRY common for my family

1 - 20 of 43 Posts