Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sophie is my young female rat I have had her for a few months, she is generally a scared rat she is just timid but over the past 2 months we have really bonded, she always wants to come out, she loves treats, she comes out and plays with her sisters whenever she can she loves coming out! But then last night my dad knocked on the door pretty loud and she freaked out and ran into her cage, she was really afraid and didn't want to move, she was frozen stiff, I tried to get her a little bit of pizza and she wouldn't take it which is strange, I just thought she was on heat and being silly so I left it, now it has been over 24hours and she is still afraid she doesn't want to come near me won't take my treats, I picked her up and tried to put her on the bed and she ran home, her sisters aren't bullying her they all are getting along well so it can't be that, it's just so unlike her I am really worried it can't be heat it been to long, and she was doing so well, if anyone knows anything I can do to help her please let me know, I want her to go back to having fun and enjoying her life not being scared of treats and hiding in her cage, please help my little Sophie!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Its not so much shes scared of the treats but when a rat enters a state of high fear they stop taking food just like dogs do. If shes bonded to you, have you tried putting her in your clothes while sitting somewhere really quiet. I try not to give treats while my rat is scared because its rewarding the brain for that state of mind. You can use smell or play maybe as a distraction. You need to find something that changes her focus to snap the brain out of the fear and then over time really slowly build up exposure to the things she gets scared of, while using the distraction to stop her going into flight mode. It can take quiet some time but it worked for my boy who used to shake when I touched him and would run like crazy from any noise.

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Poor Sophie. She must have been really frightened.

Does she like something sweet? Like ice cream or strawberry jam? Currently I'm caring for a timid wild rat (about a few months old), and I've been trying to get her to feel less afraid by offering all sorts of treats she likes. I talk to her lovingly in a soothing tone while she licks the jam (or coconut milk ice cream -- for I don't buy dairy) off my fingertip.

If she doesn't mind being petted, pet her in the head in a gentle circular motion while talking to her in a soft soothing voice, reassuring that she has nothing to be afraid, and you love her very much, and tell her everything is going to be okay. It might be better if you can do this in her safe space. She just needs some extra positive energy, and you can give that to her through your hands (as we all have energy flowing throughout our body ;)).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Just be sweet to her, she will come out of it. Poor Sophie. :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for all your ideas and support, my poor little baby :( I will try all of you ideas when she wakes up in a few hours, fingers crossed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts