Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi :)
One of my rats (female, 25months) has just developed a large lump on her neck - around the size of a walnut. It came up very quickly about five days ago and hasn't grown; however, recently it has turned a little dark/black. It feels soft to touch and I think it is most likely a benign mammary tumour.

I don't know what to do because it seems to be an awkward place to operate on (it's very near her face). I've had some bad experiences with operating on tumours - my first rat died shortly after her operation (and none of the vets in my area are very knowledgeable about rats) ...

She doesn't seem to be in pain and is acting/eating otherwise normally - although I have noticed some red discharge around her eyes and nose.

Thank you so much - any help is really appreciated. x

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm afraid I would take her to your most trusted vet and have them check it out and decide from there. Wishes your way.

·
Registered
918 Posts
My rat had that, and it turned out to be a benign tumor.

Like Binky said it'd be best if you get a vet to look at it, and confirm it's tumor and what type. Unfortunately there's no real home remedy or diagnosis we can really do from here. I hope everything goes okay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone :)

An update:
We did take her to the vet, who agreed it was most likely a benign tumour. We decided to operate, and were discussing where the incision should be etc., when suddenly puss started coming out!
It turned out it was just a huge abscess!! She has a large raw area on her neck now, where the abscess was, but the vet reckons with some antibiotics and painkillers she'll be fine :)

I hope all goes well with your rats xx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, I'm glad it was not a tumor! Good to hear she will be fine. I am very new to rats and thinking of getting some once I've considered everything thoroughly. One thing I wonder, is how much a vet bill costs on average. If you dont mind, would you be kind enough to share how much your vet bill costed for the work you had done? I just want to get a rough idea of potential vet costs.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I was just thinking, growth in 4-5 days and blueish black sounded very much like an abcess to me (the blueish black is a scab starting to form), shame I didn't see this earlier, it could have saved you some stress.

Keep flushing it with saline water as well as the antibiotics etc and it will heal well, you don't want to let a scab form over it, it needs to heal from the inside out

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi sg4rb0,
Yes of course! In total, it cost about £120, which I thought was a pretty reasonable price :) That included the consult, a mini operation to remove all the puss and cut of the excess skin, and the medication (painkillers, antibiotics and ointment). I live in London in the UK and the vets are quite expensive, so it might be cheaper where you live.
Vet costs are definitely something to consider though- it can get really pricy! xx

1 - 12 of 12 Posts